My Cactus is dying or is dead???

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by kickboxer, Oct 22, 2006.

1. kickboxer

kickboxer Member

Hi Everyone!

I had a very healthy cactus that was growing like crazy (especially since we put it out on our back patio). We live in the HOT Okanagan. What we did not realize was that at some point the auto lawn sprinklers started hitting the cactus every night and as a result it got waaaaay over watered. We moved it so that the sprinklers would not hit it and have not watered it for about 30 days. It's color is terrible.....rotting at the base (just above the soil) It is now indoors....is there anything I can try to revive it??
    plant food? .....it is about 74 inches high ......re-plant?? or just give up now?....the poor thing looks awful....I'll try anything!!

Thanks,
    Kickboxer

2. DeVine

DeVine Member

i would remove from the pot & let dry out completely then pot up in a fresh soil 2-1 soil & pearlite . this would work with most cacti as long as its not too far gone there is also the option of taking tip cuttings of the healthiest material drying or hardening off & planting them into soil dampen sparingly then allow to dry to promote rooting very little water while rooting dampen then allow to dry completly
    is it possible to post pics of this plant ? these methods will work with many cacti .
    it may have just lost its roots & if removed & allowed to dry could very possibly grow new ones , if completely rotted well time to start over with healthy cutting sections

Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
  3. wazungy

wazungy Active Member 10 Years

Unfortunately, once a cactus starts rotting it may be too late.

It can be difficult to know what to do.
    One can try to leave the plant to dry out by removing it from the pot and (CAREFULLY, not to damage the roots!) removing most of the soil from the roots. Then let it dry out.

But if rot has started this will probably be too late. Depends on the type of rot. It can be fungal or bacterialogical. (or both, ick).

Taking cuttings from a healthy part of the plant is another option. If the plant is one that roots easily you might have success.
    Cut about 1/2 to one inch above the rot (if you have enough cactus) and put some rooting hormone powder on the bottom of the cutting.
    Let it dry out for 2 to 3 weeks. It should form a "callous" where it was cut (a thick dry layer).

Once dry, set about 1/2 the plant into potting mix/perlite or cactus mix/perlite.
    Do not water too much. Just enough to cause the soil to become a little humid.
    Over watering at this point could cause rot again. With luck and the right conditions it will start to root. Once it has established good roots, the watering can be increased.

Another option is to take a cutting or two for grafting. There are several sites that describe how to graft cacti.

Finally, if the plant has "pups" then planting some of these in separate containers should produce a fresh crop.

Good luck!

Waz

4. kickboxer

kickboxer Member

Hi there!

Thanks so much for your advice! I posted that message and then promptly left on a trip!.....the cactus was further ignored 'till yesterday.....no water, no nothing and after doing nothing at all........it seems to be better!!?? I was planning on doing what you suggested today.....but I think I will leave well enough alone for now! It's color is much improved.....it seems to like where it is ??? If it takes a turn for the worse - I will definitely re-pot it. Do you ever use a product called Oxygen Plus??........my Brother says I should use it on all my house plants and that then it would be hard for me to hurt any of them by over watering.

thanks again!
    kickboxer