Moving a horse chestnut

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Okra, May 6, 2010.

1. Okra

Okra Member

I wondered if I might get advice on moving a horse chestnut tree.

The tree is about 7 feet tall. Unfortunately, it is growing in front of the stop sign at the corner of my house and I would like to move it before the city notices and chops it down. (I have a sentimental attachment to it, as my children inadvertently sprouted it from conkers they were playing with and left in a bucket. These children are now nasty old teenagers and I love looking at the tree and remembering their childhood.)

I tried digging it out yesterday but only managed to make its leaves droop in protest, not make much of a dent in the roots.

How deeply should I dig? What are the chances it will survive the process? How big a hole should it be replaced into?

Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Should be moved when not in leaf, with as much root as possible. If there is inadequate access to the roots, you won't be able to move it successfully.

3. Okra

Okra Member

Thanks for the reply, even if it was bad news. I guess I'll leave it there for now and hope the city doesn't axe it. If it makes it until the fall, I'll try again to move it then.