Moss Composting

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by MoeT, Aug 24, 2009.

1. MoeT

MoeT Member

We've peeled a large amount of moss off of some rocks and need to get rid of it somehow.
    Would it be possible to use it for the base of a burm and then add soil on top? Or would the moss somehow survive and grow through? Is there anything I could add or do to the moss to try to get it to decompose better?
    This is a very large amount of moss (pile is something like a 2-3 feet wide by 2-3 feet high by 10+ feet length) so trying to break it up and mix it in small pieces into a compost bin is not an option.
    I don't really want to put it through a chipper/shredder because of the amount of dirt and probably small rocks that are attached to the bottom of it.
    It was quite dry when it was peeled off, but it has been sitting in piles for a few weeks in a shady area, so may have captured more moisture. Would it burn very well if it was dry?

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

It will compost very easily, no need to do anything extra to it.

Burning wouldn't be a good idea.

3. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

It does decay. I find the soil-like natural compost under moss pretty interesting when it lifts from rocks in the forests.

4. 1950Greg

1950Greg Active Member

Langley, B.C. Stones throw from old HBC farm.
    This is not a composting answer but something interesting never the less. A gardener in my nieghbourhood uses the moss he rakes out of his lawn in the spring to surround his seed potatoes with and when he harvests them they come out of the ground nice and clean.