Moringa Ovalifolia

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by NovaGl, Jul 6, 2008.

1. NovaGl

NovaGl Member

I tried posting this on another forum on an old thread but I'm hoping maybe someone here would have better advice. I am attempting to grow some moringa ovalifolia as indoor plants. I was just wondering if anyone else has tried this. There doesn't seem to be much information online about growing them indoors. I saw one website that suggested using bonsai techniques but that's about all. Any information would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

http://www.warrenphotographic.co.uk/photography/cats/06974.jpg

I thought I recognized the name. This is one of the great pachycaul trees. I am working on a collection of pachycaul and caudiciform plants myself.

In the book, A Guide to Growing Pachycaul and Caudiciform Plants by Philippe de Vosjoli, he speaks of Moringa hildebrandtii on p.284. "...full sun and heat...grows fast and is initially best raised in large pots or in outdoor beds to encourage rapid growth and thickening of the trunk. Kept in small pots, this species will stunt badly. For a smaller, more compact form, encourage branching of small plants by pinching the main growth tips over and over again until the stubborn things finally decide to put out side branches..."

This is quite similar to how to treat most pachycaul trees. Large containers or raised beds. What I am doing is using large containers and doing a lot of pinching back. I keep them outdoors, (full southern exposure) when the overnight temperatures are above 50*F. When the weather cools, I bring them indoors. They will be semi-dormant/dormant in the Fall. So, all I do is back off on the watering (only when DRY) and try to get them through to the Spring. You can use heat tape in the early Spring to give them a head start, but be sure they are getting a lot of full, bright light or else they will become etoliated with large spaces between the leaves/branches. Again, pinching back will help keep this in check. Once you get the shape/proportions you want, then you can begin the bonsai training.

Good luck. If you have any more questions, you can post in the Caudiciform and Pachycaul Tree forum.

Mark

3. caudex1

caudex1 Member

Attached Files: