Monster grapevine.

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by Amateur, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Amateur

Amateur Member

We bought a property in Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, May 1st 2004, with a quarter acre of garden left fallow for five years. I limed, fertilized and reseeded the lawns front and back several times. I had no previous experience of gardening and had moss etc removed by a landscaper.

Cedar trees along two sides of the front lawn were damaged beyond hope by deer so I removed them and planted twenty seven leylandii trees, asked my wife to annoint them with pink ribbons on the advice of a Glaswegian expat and they flourish, some now over six feet tall. The rear lawn, fenced to exclude ravenous deer, is thriving and I reseeded the front again yesterday but the soil, over granite, is not deep and there are yellow patches.

There are trees, including a dogwood and a cherry planted by us, bushes and plants that thrive. A grapevine thrived without producing unfortunately. It all but consumed an unassuming pear tree and is known locally as the woolly mammoth. See picture at: http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=4849&referrerid=414.

Perhaps you can advise.
    Jim Dodds - Amateur.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2004
  2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello Amateur, welcome to the UBC Botanical Garden Forums. I found a couple of websites on pruning grapes that may help get the woolly mammoth under control. I put the links in as replies to the thread that you link to.

I fixed the link in your message. You may wish to read this thread about editing your posts to the forums.

Question: How long do you leave the pink ribbons? I wonder if this would help with the bear that has been eating the apples from my friend's yard in Sechelt.