Monoculture planting v. multiple species, ages, for successional planting

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by Donna Rodman, May 27, 2013.

1. Donna Rodman

Donna Rodman New Member

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Is there any research on the comparison of benefit between creating monoculture landscape architecture vs landscape architecture that specifies biodiverse planting lists? ie. I am registered member: MBCSLA and curious about this. My firm has two approaches - B.C. Native plantings (mixed with some specimen and ornamental species) and also genetic pool preservation through monoculture planting in garden environments. Thx. Donna Rodman MBCSLA, CSLA

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hmm... my first reaction is to suggest contacting Patrick Mooney@UBC, as I think this has overlap with his research areas.

Second reaction is that if it doesn't exist, then we should have a conversation -- I think this aligns pretty closely with some ideas we've been kicking around at the Garden for some research into biodiversity plantings.

3. Donna Rodman

Donna Rodman New Member

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Thank you. I have left a message with Dr. Patrick Mooney. Donna Rodman, MBCSLA, CSLA #437