Monkey(Puzzle) Tree potting

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by dashark, May 22, 2009.

1. dashark

dashark Member

I have recently potted a 2 foot tall monkey tree. I am unfamiliar with this trees root patterns and i am wondering what is my best option. I am unable to plant out of a pot at this time.

2. dashark

dashark Member

my question here is should I cut back the roots annually? and what size or ratio to size of tree should my pot be?

3. monkey

monkey Member

The MP tree is so slow growing that I think cutting back the roots annually would impair its growth further . Just growing in a pot/container already slows their growth down. However they will grow fine in a container .[ Some of my own trees are 13 years old and 10 to 12 feet tall , in 60 gallon pots .] Instead , it might be better to repot annually to a slightly bigger pot . A two foot tall tree would do well in a 7 to 15 gallon pot . { 10" to 18" diameter } . When transplanting , wash off some of the old soil off the root ball { maybe one inch all around ] exposing the existing roots and carefully pry some of the root ends away from the rootball so that they can grow out into the new soil . If any of the existing roots have completly circled the root ball ,try unraveling them . Just my 2 cents on the matter .Cheers

4. dashark

dashark Member

Thanks I will look into getting a bigger pot :)