Monkey puzzle tree advice

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by Cheryl K, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Cheryl K

Cheryl K New Member

I was given a monkey puzzle tree approximately 5 years ago. I've had to keep it in a container as I live in Quebec and it would be too cold to plant outdoors. It was doing great until this winter. For whatever reason I forgot to water it for a length of time. It become all brown and I thought I had lost it. I replanted it in a big pot with fresh soil and also started to fertilize it. It appears to be coming back to life. I've attached photos to show you. I'm unsure as to what to do with the brown branches? Will they eventually fall off themselves? Any advice would be welcome

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Go easy on the fertiliser - best not add any more. Also be careful not to overwater, as its water needs are very low while it has so little green foliage - overwatering can easily lead to fungal disease killing the roots, and then it would have no hope. The dead foliage will fall off of its own accord, but it may take quite a long time to do so (several years) - you can trim it off when you're sure what's definitely alive and not, perhaps in a year's time.