mock pear tree dead center

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by mcrafter, Oct 7, 2009.

1. mcrafter

mcrafter Member

Live in Las Vegas, Nevada. Have a beautiful mock pear tree that has thrived for 18 years in front yard. This spring the center branches of the tree did not bloom or leaf out. Is there a life expectancy to these trees? Could it be a disease or infestation? I'd really like to save this beautiful tree. Appreciate any help. Thank you Mcrafter

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Any other names for the tree?

3. mcrafter

mcrafter Member

No. Purchased the house, with the tree and lawn already planted - new from developer 18 years ago and my now ex-husband, who is a certified arborist, is the one who determined the tree was a mock pear. The blooms look just like a pear tree and it produces tiny round red fruit just slightly smaller than a marble. I leave them on the tree and they fall off in the Fall but the birds take them away quickly. When in bloom it's a real show stopper, but neighbors have complained of the smell. I like it's blooms in the spring, beautiful architecture and flaming red leave in the Fall. It grows so slowly I've never had it pruned and it has never lost any limbs or had any pests that I've noticed.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I've never heard of a "mock pear" and I've been around trees for awhile. What do the leaves look like? The more descriptive information, the better.

5. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Probably a Bradford Pear (Pyrus calleryana), based on the description provided, particularily the reference to the smell. Not a mock pear, but maybe that's become a vernacular name for it in some parts of the states (?).