Mix of Beauty

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by C.Wick, Nov 30, 2008.

1. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

The lovely fanned undersides of Split-gill fungi -Schizophyllum commun
    The pure white beauty of the Oyster mushroom -Pleurotus ostreatus (edible)
    The amazing rainbow colors from advanced age of the Jack O Lantern -Omphalotus olearius (toxic)
    The dripping action to spread it's spores of the Shaggy Mane -Coprinus comatus (edible while young...with caution)
    And the bright orange/red glow of Cinnabar-red Polypore -Pycnoporus cinnabarinus

Attached Files:

• x3.jpg
      x3.jpg
      File size:
      190.9 KB
      Views:
    • x2.jpg
      x2.jpg
      File size:
      151.4 KB
      Views:
    • x5.jpg
      x5.jpg
      File size:
      175.6 KB
      Views:
    • x1.jpg
      x1.jpg
      File size:
      184.1 KB
      Views:
    • x4.jpg
      x4.jpg
      File size:
      76.1 KB
      Views:
    • x7.jpg
      x7.jpg
      File size:
      115.5 KB
      Views:
  2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Beautiful!

3. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Gorgeous photos!

4. togata57

Y'know, C.W.---if you are not already a professional photographer, you SHOULD be. In quality, impact, composition, showing the structure and true beauty of your subjects, you absolutely excel. Your photos in a book, ANY book, would be a brilliant asset. Have a show of your framed photos! They should hang on the walls of every botany dep't. On living-room walls! Imagine enlargements of these professionally matted and framed. Stupendous!

5. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Thanx guys for the comments........
    And just a heads up? I'm TRYING to be a professional photographer...specializing in nature........but even this takes dinero that I've not to spare before I can have a show with framed work.......
    I greatly appreciate the comments...breaking a camera is actually how I got interested in fungi and mushrooms...odd eh?

6. togata57

Just read an article in the Columbus Dispatch about a fella who is a luthier---makes guitars. He got into it after his uncle busted the (then) kid's guitar. The kid grew tired of waiting for the "Oh, we'll get it fixed someday" thing to happen, so started messing around with the bits and pieces himself. And now, like yourself, interest has led to artisitic achievement!

Yeah, I know that it takes $$$ to get going in the artisitic area. (Or any area!) BUT I do think that you have a gift. I believe that the purpose of life is to find one's means of self-expression, and that you are one of the fortunate folk who have done so. You aren't just taking pictures: your passion and enthusiasm for your subject is vibrantly obvious in every photo. ---Start small: frame up a couple of your favorites, and scout locations to hang same. Doesn't have to be a gallery---coffee shops, libraries, offices, schools. This time of year, holiday bazaars...? Florist shops! Talk to your friends. See who they know. ---OK, sermon over! (As my daughter is wont to say: Preach it, Ma!) Anyway, I wish you the very best of luck. Your stuff is quality!

7. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Slowly and surely I'll get there....I've had lots of health factors to get over and they finally seem to be getting straightened up (diabeties/epilepsy)..plus being a single mom without insurance...makes/made things a bit stressing.
    I've been contacting local locations about displaying and many have been very enthusiastic...especially since I'm in a small town...and MOST my work? Was taken here. Slowly...surely........
    I'll get there.
    My blessings and thanx!
    C.Wick

I'm at play (in the snow) in the Fields of the Lord

8. togata57

I will be thinking of you, and send you my best wishes for luck, health, and success. In this holiday season, your photos are one thing I am grateful for: they remind me of the beauty of this world. Thanks, C.!

9. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

Hi C.

(Not the drink) Thanks for all your expertise over in IDs. Sorry to have mistaken you for a guy the time you nailed a blewit ID for me. (I guess my chauv was showing)

My dad was a professional photgrapher in the technical field, but he didn't have your great eye for subject, angle, frame and crop.

I liked the way the coprinus was only partially revealed, and the awesome colours of the jack-o-lanterns.

If you don't a more commercial and less art-oriented market, there are photographers on the net licensing their work to companies for use in promo materials. The rates I saw struck me as very lucrative when I looked into it years ago, while a graphic designer. It could be a less expensive way to market your photos.

Most ISPs provide some free web space as part and parcel of a regular internet account, though I've never used mine, and think that most people don't.

I miss the ID forum action, but we'll hopefully be tantalized through the winter with a few beauties from more tropical climes. I'm off to Onterrible for Christmas (and because I miss their winters).

Good hunting,

Jeff

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  10. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

lol...thanx, Jeff, for the apologies and none were needed. So often I want to think whoever I'm responding to on sites are fellows rather then chicks and often I find myself getting stumped....
    I hugely appreciate the advice there....if I had a better camera things might work a bit better towards those options plus maybe a bit more computer skills....once Christmas is over I've got my eye on a few pieces of equipment out there...hopefully things will fall into place.
    The market out there is so huge anymore...EVERYONE thinks they're a photographer....it gets overwhelming at times to see all the competition. I recently got a thumbs up from a great mushroom magazine that will hopefully print some of my work (nothing from above however...lol)...hopefully that'll work out.
    The natural world is my pasion....and the mushroom and fungi community has left me breathless for more. My ID's have all been thanx to the UBC community and a few other friends and sites....I also own about 30 different books...lol
    Would you believe? I'm STILL finding mushrooms out there...and more then just the 'typical' winter kinds? It's been great (if not freezing!).
    My thanx again!
    C. Wick

11. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Fab pics. I'm very desirous of that Omphalotus for BPotD...

There's a nice little article about selling images locally in the latest issue of Outdoor Photography.

Also, you may want to spend some time browsing on Nature Photographers.net - particularly the articles and the Flora gallery.

12. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Excellent links...thanx Daniel!
    Feel free to use my Jack pic for the Photo of the day....always enjoy sharing mushrooms and fungi with the community!