miniature rose has rusty tips on leaves

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by JAMIEBOYROD, May 18, 2006.

1. JAMIEBOYROD

JAMIEBOYROD Member

HAVE A PAIR OF MINIATURE ROSES separate pots,TEMPS HERE IN THE YUCATAN REACHED 112 LAST WEEK SO MOVED THESE POOR BABIES TO A SHADIER SPOT ONE IS DOING REALLY WELL BUT ON THE OTHER, TIPS OF LEAVES ARE DRYING SEEMS TO HAVE STOPPED GROWING, MAYBE I OVER WATERED OR FED?CAN ONE SAVE THE BRANCHES OF A SICK OR DYING PLANT BY CUTTING AND TRYING TO ROOT IN WATER?

2. oscar

oscar Active Member

You can take cuttings of miniature roses (usually done with healthy shoots though)

3. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

With a temperature of 112F, I suspect that the leaves are getting scorched from the heat. If that is the case, place the plant in the coolest spot in your yard, and what and see what happens when the temperature coods down.

If you think that overwatering or overfeeding is a problem, and the stems are still fresh looking and green, you can still do something about the rose - repot it. Make sure that the potting media is one that drains well. To aid drainage, I put a layer of gravel, or polystyrene beans (to reduce weight) to the bottom of the pot and cover this layer with a piece of landscape fabric. (Make sure that the gravel or polystyrene bean do not plug the drainage holes). I would knock off as much of the "old" potting soil as possible and repot with all new soil. I would prune the plant back a little to cope with the "shock" of transplanting. The after care involves keeping the soil moist all the time, but not soaking wet.

Rooting from cuttings may be a challenge if it is that hot. But here is an excellent article on rooting that you can easily do indoors, where, hopefully the temperatures are much cooler. As Oscar mentioned, your changes of successful is better if the cuttings come from healthy canes. But you have got nothing to lose - as long as the canes are still green and feels turgid, give it a go.

4. JAMIEBOYROD

JAMIEBOYROD Member

Gracias, For Your Answer And Exlpanations.in This Area Of The World Not
    Much Importance Is Placed On Either Gardening Or Plants;and When Faced With A Plant Problem One Is Pretty Much On One`s Own.i Very Much Prize
    These Two Rose Bushes And Seeing One Of Them So Obviously Unwell Worried Me.i Will Both Take Your Advise And Check Out The Link On Propagation You Suggest,thanks Again.

5. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Are these roses each in 10-inch pots are bigger? It is difficult to believe that you overwatered a rose in a pot in 112F weather. Is there a reason that the roses are not in the ground? If you have such a hot spell again, you can soak the entire pot in a bucketful of water for a while, then bury the pot in a hole in the ground to slow the dehydration. If just the tips of the leaves are drying, then you should be in good shape, but if you love the roses so, it doesn't hurt to propagate some back-ups. They will actually look good in groups of three.
    It is easy to overfertilize them; they actually do not need much. In our climate, once in April, June, and August is common, but less is fine. Just don't use fertilizer meant for the field; use water-soluble fertilizer or fertilizer meant for potted plants.

6. JAMIEBOYROD

JAMIEBOYROD Member

GRACIAS,Your advise is very welcome and will be put into use.I drew some soil from the center of the pot with a small tube and it seemed muddy,compact - so I decided I had maybe over watered.Plants must be in pots -as is- almost impossible to dig here.LAJA- slabs of rock are only a few inches deep and in some places just at level.
    Gardening in the yucatan is quite a feat. Again I thank you for your interest and expertise.
    p.s. Yes, only tips of leaves are damaged. Gracias.

7. Weekend Gardener

I admire you for your perseverance and efforts. Being able to grow something beautiful is often taken for granted. But when conditions are harsh, ingenuity shall prevail.

You could try and improve drainage of the containers. Put down a 1 -2 cm thick layer of grit or gravel, 1/2-1 cm diameter at the bottom of the pot. Cover this layer of gravel with a fabric that will allow water to drain through. Next, improve the drainage characteristics by adding coarse material. You could try coarse gravel or sand, but this might make the whole container too heavy. Or else, use something organic material that does not rot or decay too fast - fine bark or wood chips for example. If you have perlite available, even better.

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  8. JAMIEBOYROD

JAMIEBOYROD Member

Had thought about improving the drainage with woodchips.In this area of the world though some of the products which area comun else where are non-available;had to have the DIP AN`GROW fedexed from the `states`.Has been rainning here since yesterday-usual for this time of year-which has reduced the heat considerably which will give the plant some relief.That variety of rose is called young girls chatting here.
    Thanks again for your interest.

9. JAMIEBOYROD

JAMIEBOYROD Member

Attn Weekend Gardener:ABOUT THE LITTLE BAG greenhouse like,for the rose cutting propagation.Some of the cuttings are doing ok..... some became black from bottom up.
    From where the cutting pops out ?of the soil and obviosly rotted others are fine ;all were taken at the same time and given the same treatment.Maybe too much moisture?
    appreciate your help. PUZZELED IN YUCK;when its over100 in the shade its yuck atan.

10. Weekend Gardener

You will lose some from rot. Just throw those one's away. What you want is high humidity. The soil should be moist but well drained.

11. JAMIEBOYROD

JAMIEBOYROD Member

THANKS AGAIN,AND WHILE WE ARE ON THE SUBJECT....IS THERE A BETTER TIME OF YEAR DURING WHICH CUTTINGS STAND A BETTER CHANCE.belive it or not- here -some old timers ;gardeners go by moon cycles to do most everything concerning plants like prune and so on.I MEAN MAYBE IN THE LATE SUMMER ?WHEN THE PLANT HAS DONE MOST OF ITS GROWING FOR THE YEAR.GRACIAS

12. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Last edited: Jun 17, 2006
  13. JAMIEBOYROD

JAMIEBOYROD Member

Thank You,for Your Advise Have Done A Few Of Those And Am Now Keeping My Fingers Crossed In Hope Saludos

14. JAMIEBOYROD

JAMIEBOYROD Member

Saludos,weekend Gardener:finally A Cool Off In This Hot Time Of Year So Have Gone Ahead And Transplanted My Miniature Rose Bush.had The New Pot Ready With Woodchips And Some Specially Mixed Soil;am Now Keeping The Newly-replanted.... In A Shaded Spot To Give It A Good Head Start.thank You Again For All Your Advise.