Medlars

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by MRA, May 20, 2004.

1. MRA

MRA

I am interested in planting a medlar tree. I live on the Noth Shore in a area which is quite high up on the mountain with a mix of sun and shade. Do you
    think this is a suitable choice and where would I find one. Any help would be
    appreciated.

thankyou

2. Did you have any luck finding a medlar? I am shortly moving from the UK to Mayne Island and leaving my beloved medlars behind. I'd be very grateful if you could share and sources with me
    Thanks
    Olivia

3. SRTech

SRTech Member

Medlars are available from a couple nurseries in my area. Try www.onegreenworld.com (You will have to call or email them however.)

4. skyjs

skyjs Member

I am quite confident that medlars could grow in this location. They are native to Germany (cold!). Other nurseries that have medlar are Burnt Ridge Nursery in Onalaska Washington, and Raintree Nursery in Morton Washington.

They are slow growing but sturdy and tough. They have been enjoyed since ancient times. I have a Royal from One Green World. I like mine.
    John

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Many sources in US. Try calling garden centers in your area, surely at least a few can help.

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

They're actually native to southeast Europe (Balkans) and Turkey, not Germany (despite the scientific name!). But they should grow easily in the PNW.