MEADOW RUE dividing ?

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by vicarious1, Apr 10, 2009.

1. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Hello I got a pot of this last year LOOOOVE the flowers and transparancy
    created a new ROCKERY to hold out mini pond
    Can I divide some this Meadow Rue ? I want something tall and transparent
    to get some transparency over the rockery .

Any suggestions what to plant in this FULL SOUTH facing rockery
    small PERRENIALS please..

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

Meadow rue should be easy to divide, as long as the clump is big enough.

I wonder how well it will do in this very sunny and exposed position, though. I associate Thalictrum with cool, shady, moist sites. On the other hand, I've seen a very tall variety (rochebrunianum, I think) at the back of a sunny border here in Maine. Probably the key is heavy mulching and adequate water.

I'd think about a coreopsis like 'Moonbeam' or 'Zagreb,' a sedum like 'Autumn Joy,' a daylily like 'Happy Returns' or 'Stella d'Oro,' perhaps an ornamental grass like blue fescue (you'd need a little grouping of maybe 5 of these to make an impact) or a single plant of the somewhat taller blue oat grass (Helictotrichon), a perennial geranium, and perhaps a small aster to extend the season into autumn. Some combination like this would give you a nice variety of shapes and textures, and some of the plants (e.g. Sedum and Coreopsis and any grass) would produce attractive seedheads that could be left standing through the winter to create some visual interest.

3. vicarious1

Dear Kaspian
    Thanks so much for all your info and suggestions ! Its much apreciated I see we are on the opposite site of the continent :-) Loved Main been there many years ago ..

4. kaspian

For some reason -- both philosophical and climatological, I think -- those of us here in the northeast U.S. and the Maritimes seem to feel a sort of closeness with you folks on the west side. Everything in between is a puzzle, however.

5. vicarious1

Yes when I visited friends in Bosten while working in NY in 95 I now realize how similar it is up there living by the sea . But here the water is always COOOOLD 4-8C ..There in NY ( did not swim in Boston) going to the Beach on Long Island was fun in the summer time. I used to work for SUSAN BRISTOL in Boston for a while designing country side looking nearly Bavarian type of Knitt & woven co ordinates.. I guess they hired me because I lived in Hong Kong and am Austrian. But what a drag to convert Bavarian Austrian folk to American country style :-) .. never again... I LOVED BOSTON and surroundings I recall stayed and the COLONNADE hotel. Took some stunning pics in the winter with all the trees illuminated by -10C ...against the fullmoon. I'll never forget.

6. kaspian

I would hire you on this basis alone, if I were in a position to hire anyone, for anything. Just to hear about your wide-ranging life experiences.

It must be a challenge to adjust to completely different growing conditions. I experienced this after moving to Maine from Washington, DC. The danger is that some familiar plants grow splendidly, so you mistakenly think that everything else will, too. And you overlook other plants that would be happy if anyone only thought to grow them.

7. vicarious1

So what took you from green Washington to MAIN.. we have a Main coon cat :-)..
    Found another patch of KALE on the same abandonner plot they must have come out the last days
    since my 1st 40+ Kale plants found there
    today also 12 red spotten italian lettuce :-)
    Go well what does YOUR garden there look like ?