MARRAKECH - Jardin Majorelle/Aquedal

Discussion in 'Photography and Art' started by RICHARD MASSON, Jan 15, 2009.

1. RICHARD MASSON

RICHARD MASSON Active Member

Anyone who ilkes Cactus and similar may find these pictures (from August 2008) of interest.
    They are all from the Jardin Majorelle. The web site says:

"Jacques Majorelle is born in 1886 in Nancy (France). In 1919 he settles in Marrakech to continue his career of painter, where he acquires a ground which was going to become the Majorelle garden. Since 1947 he opens his garden's doors to the public. Following a car accident, he returns to france, where he dies in 1962. in 1980 Pierre Bergé and Yves Saint Laurent repurchase the garden and restore it.

Contrasts, the colours, the light games seem go out of one of the pictures of Jacques Majorelle. It was one of the more important collectors of plants of his era, and this is in this spirit than enlarges itself from day to day the flore of the garden. Plants of the five continents are exposed in an enchanting framework. This that was the workshop of Jacques Majorelle, inspiration place and of contemplation, shelters today the magnificent art collection Islamic of Pierre Bergé and Yves Saint Laurent. The originality of these places lies in the combination of a luxurious végétation and architectural elements allying sobriété and traditional aesthetic Moroccan. The power of the blue Majorelle participates in the freshness impression and of quiétude."

The pictures number 11 onwards are pictures from Jardin Aguedal - really a huge and ancient irrigated allotment gardens also in Marrakech. The Photo 11 is a vicious spiky shrub, - photo 14 are grapes that caught my eye and the last photo is an interesting weed - so close to the ground - and in full sunlight.
    I would be interested if anyone could identify?

Attached Files:

2. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Portulaca oleracea interesting to note there is also a Lantana camara so there are a couple of weeds (at least in our region). I would like to know what's between the Lanata and Olive? Any ideas at all?

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

That last weed is Portulaca. I've no clue on the one between the Lantana and the olive.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Nice plants.

Don't like the lurid blue buildings though, much too loud!

5. RICHARD MASSON

This blue colour is a feature of the whole region. Mediterranean Blue I suppose. Some newer plant pots were green - that did not work. When the plant pots were Mediterranean Blue that did seem to work.The locals tended to paint parts of their homes blue, like the shutters and window frames - here at the garden Majorelle - they were being very "arty" and had to go one step further and paint the whole building blue! Like you, I rather thought it was loud- perhaps a nice creamy magnolia gentle colour would have set the plants off better!

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Most buildings I remember seeing in that area were red ochre, much the same as the Atlas Mts foothills. But I have to admit I wasn't paying too much attention to houses, being more interested in trees and birds!

7. RICHARD MASSON

You are right, they are that colour. However along the coast in Tunisia that blue colour is very popular -so perhaps he was trying to emulate this style? Perhaps in Algeria too - I have not been there. The house is all very angular and concrete-ish so I think a architectural "statement" was being made.

8. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

I worked in a Nursery with a similar look to the buildings and colour scheme of blended ochre and that blue and even a purple. It sort of looked alright for a Nursery. The owner had a home in similar style with huge fake cacti everywhere... (Nursery owner - fake plants?), I don't know, it was all too formal for my liking as a living area.