Magnolia Little Gem for courtyard hedge/screen??

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by NorthVanHomeGarden, Sep 14, 2013.

1. NorthVanHomeGarden

NorthVanHomeGarden New Member

Hello, I have 10ft length of solid wood fence in a small courtyard that I would like to cover with an evergreen hedge (preferably to grow to 12 ft tall to screen from the neighbours window). I need to keep the hedge very narrow (2 to 3 ft if possible). I have read that the Little Gem magnolia would potentially work well. Has anyone had any experience with this or any other suggestions?? I love the idea of having the sweet-smelling magnolia flowers in the garden!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Too large-growing (12.7 m in California), prone to mildew (frequent on it in this region), snow damage (have seen it break in half) and perhaps frost injury (known to be less hardy than other cultivars). Constant dribble of litter all summer might also be a problem in that situation, same as with all forms of species.

It would also be more interesting if you planted an assortment, rather than a row of one kind of shrub.

3. NorthVanHomeGarden

NorthVanHomeGarden New Member

Thanks Ron, I would be very interested to know your suggestions. The alternatives so far are; Holly (I do not like the prickly leaves), Hedging cedars (boring and expensive when purchasing at 10 ft tall), laurel... The magnolias are on-hold for a few more days and I am desperate to make a decision as this lovely little courtyard is a fish-bowl without the coverage from a hedge...