Looking for Special Variety

Discussion in 'Cornus (dogwoods)' started by Leslie11, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Leslie11

Leslie11 Member

My sister has gone "over the deep end" for dogwoods. For a few years now she has been collecting seeds and starting plants. (She's started several hundred to date). Her birthday is approaching, and it occurred to me that an unusual dogwood variety, or several, would be a great gift for her, but I don't know anything about them. She is Zone 7, lives in NE Arkansas. I've done a Google search and found several, but don't know anything about them, and thought some of you might have some ideas and sources for me.

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

C. kousa 'Wolf Eyes ' might suit her. Variegated. Check hardiness. Possibly Greer Gardens, not familiar with eastern nurseries.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  3. Gordo

Gordo Active Member 10 Years

Look for a copy of "Dogwoods: the genus Cornus" (2005) by Paul Cappiello and Don Shadow. This is the best source available about dogwoods, with very good descriptions and photos of various cultivars. Actually, the book itself would make a fine gift.

4. Chooch

Chooch Active Member 10 Years

SW Ontario 65 miles west of London / 33 miles sout
    Cornus macrophylla and cornus walteri would be a couple of unusual ones to have in her garden if she isn't growing them already .