Looking for fruit trees near Princeton, BC

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by kirk, Sep 3, 2014.

1. kirk

kirk New Member

Hello

My parents have property in Tulameen, BC (a small community near Princeton, BC) and would like to plant fruit trees there. They do not have a specific variety or type in mind but were thinking either plum, apricot or apple. The elevation is 823m so it can get cold there in the winter.

Does anyone have any recommendations for varieties that would do well there? Or a nursery in that area that could supply trees?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

2. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

3. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

I am afraid Tulameen has much harsher climate than Penticton has. Can be anything from zone 2 to 4, unlikely 5.

Is there any possibility for your parents, Kirk, to find out what gardening (hardiness) zone Tulameen has? Knowing the zone they can plant anything there what is hardy in that zone. Zone information is, or at least should be, always printed on the label the tree comes with.

4. pmurphy

Kirk,
    If you are really dealing with zone 2, I will check with my mother to see what she is growing - she is northwest of 100 Mile House in zone 2/3 and is growing grapes, apples, cherries, and of course raspberries, saskatoons and strawberries. A couple other plants that also do well there are hops and asparagus.
    But I will find out what type of fruit trees she has.

FYI, I picked up a dwarf cherry "Evans" during our local Van Dusen plant sale that was labelled zone 2. They are supposed to be more of a baking rather than eating cherry but it is something you might consider.

5. pmurphy

Sorry for the wait,
    I checked with my mother and she is growing the following fruit north of 100 Mile House (she purchases plants for zone 2):

Apples: Battleford and Norland

Pear: Ure

These are all listed to zone 2 and may work where you are. The big problem will be finding them because you can not import fruit trees into BC (not even from other provinces) due to regulations to protect our orchard crops.
    Check with "local" (within BC) garden centers/nurseries to see if they can get for you.
    You could also try sand cherries (such as the 'eEans'); several varieties are listed as zone 2, but these are more of a large shrub.....and a baking rather than eating cherry.