looking for Coffee seeds? Also Alpine Strawberry

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by zoomroom, May 9, 2009.

1. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Landscaper, if they're good roasters they know exactly where the beans came from, down to the co-op that produced them; they'll still have the labeled sacks. They may form their own blends after that (for example, I know that Java Jive in Edmonton routinely cuts the poor-quality Robusta beans from Ethiopia with the super-high quality Criollos from Ecuador and Colombia, then calls the resulting mix "multicultural")

If you do get a chance to see the shipping sacks, which are printed burlap, look for the name "Loja" and one of the following towns: Chaguarpamba, Vilcabamba, Malacatos (although these are the low-end of Loja quality), Cariamanga, Izhcayluma, and Putumayo. These are all indigenous cooperatives of organic shade-growers; the very fact of their presence at the roasters means the co-ops were paid a fair price for the coffee.

2. Landscaper

Landscaper Member

I do remember seeing the burlap bags at the roasters, Lorax. Or were those gunny sacks? Whatever the case, I don't remember what was printed on them, but will surely check them out the next time I see them. Actually my feeling was that the bags were more for show, and less reality. It just seemed to me as if at some point the beans would leave the bags and end up in barrels, or some other container.

Holleyberry Lady, PM me your address and I'll send some beans out your way... and maybe some surprise seeds. I just now glanced at your list of seeds and some do sound very interesting, and hardy enough to survive this area, but I'll get back to you about those.

3. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Just sent ya a pm Landscaper. You are so very nice to offer those to me. Think you could throw in a couple extra beans so I can share some with Laticauda, as well?

We don't need tons, just enough so we can grow a plant to try. When we get our beans, I will share some with you too.

Don't forget as well, to let me know about what ya like from my list...

: )

4. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Hey Holly... the alpine strawberry images I've found on google look much like the strawberries growing around my house. Any chance they'd be the same species?

if they are, you'll have some alpine strawberry seeds coming your way with the loquats. ;)

5. The Hollyberry Lady

They very well could be the same variety, yes. I am looking forward to receiving them. Thank you.

I have been exceptionally busy this week, but I did not forget you. I am just very involved right now, but your seeds will be mailed off by tonight. I have everything wrote down, so I wouldn't forget.

I will be sending you a sweet pepper variety, and some honey dew and canary melon seeds. I will send a confirming pm tonight, to let you know they're on their way. Sorry I am a bit late getting them off to you, but not to worry, the Hollyberry Lady will not disappoint!

6. Landscaper

Landscaper Member

Hollyberry Lady, I'll be sending the beans to you briefly, which you can share with Laticauda. There are smaller and larger beans, however I'm not sure if the size difference is because of the type of beans or just because of a common occurrence in any one particular type. And having looked at your list of seeds that you have, I think that the toad lily seeds would be nice, which would be perfect in my woodland garden. Or... perhaps the apricot foxglove (I have the standard purple).

Zoomroom, you started this thread and wanted to grow coffee, so let me know if you would like some beans as well. It's hard to believe that the roasters up in The Hollyberry Lady's location wouldn't part with a few unroasted beans, so I'm not going to assume that you would be able to acquire them in Phoenix.

7. The Hollyberry Lady

Yeah, the guy was pretty rude to me when I asked about them! Plus too, another company didn't even email me back a response! I don't think anyone is going to be too apt to part with them here.

Thanks so much Landscaper for sharing with Laticauda and I! You bet you can have toad lily and apricot foxglove seeds! As well, you may choose 5 other varieties from my list! I am very grateful for the coffee beans, and know how difficult they are to get, so please make some more choices from my 'have' list. You are so sweet to do this for us! Laticauda will be so appreciative as well.

I am so excited to sprout some of your beans - half of them will be in soil within 5 minutes of tearing open your package! I can't wait. Thank you, Landscaper. I will post many pics of my growings from your seeds, not to worry.

Also, I only share seeds for the two plants you see below, with a very select few. You will be receiving both types. They are some of my very best varieties, and are difficult to obtain here. Both pictures are my own seed grown plants.

1. 'French Vanilla' marigold
    2. 'Black Velvet Rose' geranium

Be sure too, to let me know your 5 other picks from my list...

Attached Files:

8. Landscaper

Landscaper Member

Those are beautiful, and I certainly would be excited to give those a try! Five more to pick from your list? Wow... I'll have to PM you about that after giving some thoughts to that.

I'm glad that your excited about the coffee beans, but just be aware that I haven't tried germinating these beans. I sure wish that I knew for sure that they would sprout... By the way, the mystery seeds that I'll include are native to this area, a shrub, glossy green leaves, red bark, and browish red berries. The plant has had many uses by early settlers and indians. I could tell you what it is, but then it wouldn't be a mystery.

9. The Hollyberry Lady

Anything with berries, I enjoy - so ornamental. Thanks for the surprise.

Laticauda received an email back from a place we were going to order some beans from, and this is what they had to say...

Lorax - what do you think of this?, or anyone else who knows for sure.

I would still like to give yours a try though, Landscaper. Do you know how old your beans are?

Yes, let me know your 5 other choices from my list in a private message...

10. The Hollyberry Lady

Found this information on the internet - sounds so wonderful...

11. Landscaper

Landscaper Member

Well what the hey. It sounds as if one, you must keep the potting mix moist but not wet. And two, you must be patient. And three, you must be even more patient. Or four, you move down to Ecuador...

I seriously doubt that I could find whole coffee berries, however that's one more thing to ask the local roasting experts. Perhaps one or two whole berries end up in a bag, and if I begged hard enough and purchased enough of their mochas, they might give me one. You know, if the roasters in Ontario treat unroasted coffee beans like gold, I'd imagine that whole coffee berries would be like diamonds.

Your cafe blanco beans are in the mail.

12. The Hollyberry Lady

I am amazed to report that just this morning, a coffee roaster right here in London finally emailed me back! To make a long story short, they are mailing me 2 pds. of a mixed bag of Peruvian and El Salvadorian beans!!! I tried to get Ecuadorian, but they said there were no fair trade Ecuadorian beans available right now.

Wow, I was so amazed to get a response from them, and I will be receiving the beans shortly. I am told they are very fresh, which increases my chances for success in germinating them.

Landscaper, You never said how old your beans were, but I may not need them after all, my friend. In fact I may be mailing you some beans, in the end! I will still share a few of my seeds with ya though, cuz you got so excited - so don't worry. I am very thrilled though to be getting these fresh wonderful coffee beans - I sure hope they sprout.

I'll let ya know when I get your beans too...

13. Landscaper

Landscaper Member

So you were able to get someone to part with their "cafe blanco" beans... Amazing! I was really beginning to wonder if there was some law against it.

Two pounds are enough beans to start a forest, or enough to give Lorax a run for his money, however you may end up roasting most of them. If you enjoy coffee or espresso drinks, take a look at the various Youtube videos on how to roast your own coffee beans.

I did already mail some beans to you, so you can try to germinate those as well. Maybe they will be different. As far as how old they are, I have no idea other than I purchased them a few weeks ago. It would be interesting to know how long of a period it is from picking the beans to roasting, however for the coffee connesseiur it probably doesn't get any better than brewing up a cup of java from beans picked and roasted that very same day.

Hollyberry Lady, don't feel obligated to part with your seeds, though I certainly would welcome and use any. After all, the beans that I sent could have gotten sidetracked, and are currently being roasted somewhere along the trans siberian railway.

14. The Hollyberry Lady

Hahaha - you are too funny Landscaper!

Well, if you got your beans a few weeks back, then I bet they're fresh as well. I am going to try both. Oh no, The Hollyberry Lady does not disappoint, and my offer still stands the same as before. I will send you the white marigold, 'black velvet rose' geranium, apricot foxglove, toad lily - and 5 other choices from my list. I will get your seeds mailed off by this weekend. Please send me a pm with your choices...

I got the coffee roaster to ship the beans to me, because they are on the other side of town and they offered. They even sent the beans before I've paid!!! He said to mail my cheque, and he would mail the beans, and that we should get them around the same time! Nice, huh?

Yeah, I was wondering if there were some laws against it too, because the 1st roaster I spoke with treated me like I was some kind of criminal for just asking!

Anyway, I am so excited to receive them, and I am sharing half of them with Laticauda. We are going to have a whole lotta beans, that's for sure. I will for definitely keep you guys posted on my success with germination...

; )

15. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

Holly, I may be getting some pawpaw tree seeds soon, from an 87 year old gardener in my town! *YaY* I've finally met someone near me with similar interests. She seems like a very interesting woman, she was a physician in WWII and also volunteered at the tail end of Vietnam! What a rich life, I hope she can share some of that wealth with me! Anyway, if I get more than one or two seeds, I'll definitely send you some, if you want!

16. The Hollyberry Lady

Oh yes, I'd love some of those seeds, Laticauda! Thanks for thinking of me. The beans should be here Monday, or Tuesday.

Yours will be mailed to you the same day they arrive here Lati, so you can start them right away too. Can't wait...

17. The Hollyberry Lady

Well, good news - my coffee beans finally arrived! They were supposed to be here Monday, but there was a mix up with the shipping, so the guy actually dropped them off at my house, because of the delay! Nice, huh?!!!

Anyway, I have Peruvian and El Salvadorian beans. Just put some to soak overnight, and then I'll plant them tomorrow - and wait patiently until I see a sprout. I am very excited and optimistic.

The beans are a very light cream color with a hint of light green in them. It says on the sack that they are organic and unroasted, so I guess we'll see what comes of them. I'll be sure to let you guys know...

18. Landscaper

Landscaper Member

Hollyberry Lady, are the beans that you got fairly uniform in size, and how you would describe their smell?

At any rate, I'm glad that you're ready to start popping some coffee beans... one way or another.

19. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes Landscaper, the beans are all the same size. The ones that have been soaking in water for several hours have become more white looking now, than cream. They are also slightly swollen.

The smell of the dried beans is nothing like coffee at all - they smell like earth or plants, with a hint of something else I can't quite place.

Are these good signs, Landscaper? I can't wait to get yours as well, so I can compare. Gosh, I hope these beans I got today will germinate...

20. The Hollyberry Lady

By the way - I'll take a picture of my beans in the morning. Upon closer inspection, I see that they really do have a greenish look to them.

Also, when I took a couple out of the water, I noticed they are getting softer and slightly spongy, and definitely swollen. I opened one just for fun and saw the embryo inside. They sank right to the bottom when I put them into the water for the 1st time.

Laticauda, why don't I wait for Landscaper's beans to arrive, then I'll mail ya half of them, along with a bunch of these beans I just got, then when we see if they'll sprout, I'll mail you the rest. Sound good? We don't want to pay to ship a bunch of dead beans, if that's the way it turns out.

I really do think I'll get a shoot or two, though. I am so excited to see what happens!

21. The Hollyberry Lady

Here's a pic some of my new coffee beans. Let me know if they look good to you...

Also, the beans that were soaking overnight, are looking awesome this morning! One of the El Salvadorian beans even has a tiny little white sprout poking out of the end of it!!! How is this possible, when the seeds haven't even been soaking for 24 hours yet!!! Wow, I am beginning to think that these seeds are extremely viable! Let's see what happens next.

I was told the seeds can take anywhere from a few weeks, to a couple of months to germinate. I'll try to show a pic of the soaked beans too, so you can see the swollen-ness, plus the one with the little sprout.

Gimme a minute and I'll take another shot and post it in a bit. For now though, here are the dried beans...

Attached Files:

22. The Hollyberry Lady

Ok, here's a pic of the beans that have been soaking for less than 24 hours. Notice the one with the white sprout coming out of it! See how swollen they are too? Let me know, if by the looks of things, you think I might have success.

Lorax - where are ya, my friend? Lati, too? Come check this out...

Attached Files:

23. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

You got good beans, is the explanation for the fast sprouting. If they were dried properly, they remain viable and quickly so; whenever I miss or drop a cherry, I have a little plant in less than a month. Yours look exactly like they should, Hollyberry, which is a great sign.

The "undefined" smell you're perceiving is the neat volatile oil of coffee. It only takes on the characteristic "coffee" smell when it's been exposed to heat (ie the roasting process.) The chemical itself is similar to what's in raw cacao, and the odour is similar (take it from somebody who's sniffed both).

I've been in the jungle, so apologies for not replying sooner!

24. Landscaper

Landscaper Member

Hmm... Those beans that you received, Hollyberry Lady, are indeed very uniform in size. Therefore, I'm assuming that the various sized beans that I got must be due to different varieties, or to coming from different regions. Apparently not all beans are created equal.

Ah, so you noticed the strange smell of the beans as well. I'm guessing that's normal, but I certainly would say that it's a good sign is that you have at least one bean with a sprout on it. However I'd be careful about beans that sprout overnight; some guy by the name of Jack planted one once...

Raw cacao, Lorax? Ah yes, now that's the next project!

25. The Hollyberry Lady

So glad Lorax, that the beans meet your approval! I just can't get over that awesome sprout coming out of there so soon like that. Should I leave them in the water for the full 24 hours, or longer? How deep should I bury the beans in the soil? I wanna hear it from someone with experience.

Wow, this is so exciting to me. I guess I really am going to be growing a coffee plant! Yippeeeeeeee!