looking for a small tree

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by Beth Hutchinson, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Beth Hutchinson

Beth Hutchinson Member

Hi! I just registered this afternoon, and so am very pleased to be able to write in my question.

I am looking for a small tree for my totally sunny front yard. The soil is sandy with a fair amount of gravel in it. I am wanting a small tree - maximim height 15 feet, maximum width 10 feet. I am, of course looking for great beauty with a preference for autumn/winter interest and for a single trunk. I have wondered a small crabapple; would this be a good idea and do you have others? With any of the suggestions are there specifics to be aware of in buying or in planting?

Thanks very much

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Crabapple are unfortuately prone to disease in our area.
    There are a number of small trees which we are keen on for Vancouver gadens.

Stewartia have camellia-like white single flowers in early summer, followed by an interesting fruit. The bark is multi-coloured and very attractive in winter. The largest I have seen in this area are about 25ft They would be quite old!

Acer griseum, the paperbark maple, has wonderful cinnamon peeling bark. Some forms are smaller than others, but it is very slow growing. Fall color is excellent

Koelreuteria, the 'golden rain tree' has wonderful yellow flowers in spring followed by an amazing display of reddish seedpods. There is an excellent specimen ouside the Shop in the Garden at UBC.

Arbutus unedo, the European strawberry tree is evergreen, has nice reddish bark, creamy small flowers followed by large red fruit.

A few to start to you off!

November through March is the recommended time to plant trees in the Vancouver area