Lonicera

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by jgtheg, Jul 8, 2009.

1. jgtheg

jgtheg Member

Looking for fragaint Lonicera that are attractive too.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Hall's Japanese (not a weed in this region) has an exotic and assertive fragrance. Otherwise the various forms of Lonicera periclymenum smell good at close range.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  3. cindys

cindys Active Member

Try Lonicera periclymenum 'Graham Thomas'. I have one on a post of my backyard pergola - click on the link to see it in a photo posted on another thread of the forum (look for a mass of yellow blooms on the right rear post). It is a lovely yellow, smells wonderful and looks great. I got mine at the now-defunct Murray Nursery, but it looks like Phoenix Perennials in Richmond has it - maybe a nursery a bit closer to you carries it too.

4. Pieter

Pieter Well-Known Member 10 Years

We have been enjoying the wonderful scent of our Lonicera periclymenum Serotina or "Late Dutch Honeysuckle" since early June. It's been on our pergola for about 8 or 9 years and gets regular prunings to keep it under control. The attached picture shows it on June 11th.

Warning: they can be messy with all the fallen flowers -which my 2 dogs LOVE to lick off the patio- and later on all the berries. We don't really mind because we feel we love the scent of it in bloom so much.

Attached Files:

5. jgtheg

jgtheg Member

Thanks for the form info.
    I found Lonicera periclymenum Senontina florida with red and yellow flowers,
    great scent, and fall berries too. Does anyone know about this one and is it hardy in the GVRD.

6. cindys

cindys Active Member

See this information:Paghat's garden: Lonicera periclymenum 'Serotina Florida', which says that this is the same plant that Pieter mentioned in his post. This site says it is hardy to -30 (probably F not C, as that is a US site, so Maple Ridge would not be a problem.

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I have grown both of those standout L. periclymenum cultivars for some years. For fragrance I would try the Hall's Japanese instead.