Rhododendrons: Loderi 'Alouette'

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by KarinL, Oct 29, 2007.

1. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have a new Rhodo labelled Loderi 'Alouette' that I purchased for its Loderi name and under the motto "Never heard of it? Gotta have it!" I can find no info for this in Greer or on line. I imagine it will be some shade of pink, some degree of fragrant, and a reasonably big plant... any idea of how much of each quality to expect?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

There's an Alouette Nursery both in Maple Ridge and in New Zealand, maybe one of them has something to do with it. Introductions made after Jan. 1 1959 should not, of course, have Latin or Latinized words like Loderi in their cultivar names. If you're hoping this is an obscure clone from the original series of selections made in England it should probably have similar foliage to those you are already acquainted with, that is showing characteristics of R. fortunei and/or R. griffithianum. If it doesn't look anything like 'King George', 'Venus' etc. it is not likely to be from that set.

3. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Aaah, I bought it in Pitt Meadows, adjacent to Maple Ridge, so you are no doubt onto something. I am neither hoping nor not, just wondering. I'm guessing it might not be showing foliage in final form as it's a little potbound in its container. I will study it after planting, and try to report its progress. Thanks.