lithop seeds?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by bbtellmewhy, Jun 18, 2018.

1. bbtellmewhy

bbtellmewhy New Member

hi guys, so I ordered a couple lithop seeds from the internet and these are what i got,

personally i feel like lithop seeds are suppose to be smaller but some of my friend told me that

these seeds might be species from Arabia and Yemen, which their seeds are slightly bigger.

the last bag of lithop seeds i got (which was germinated) are wayyyyyy smaller than these and

they are barely visible. could anyone clarify this for me? im still gonna go ahead to germinate them

but i feel like it is necessary to ask on the forum , just incase these are not lithop i would still wanna know what

they are. thanks!
    IMG_7864.jpg IMG_7865.jpg

2. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

Lithops seeds vary in size, some are relatively big, about 1 mm. But what species grow in the Arabian peninsula? As far as i know, the habitat of Lithops is limited to southeast Africa (almost exclusively RS and Namibia).

3. bbtellmewhy

bbtellmewhy New Member

yeah i feel like these might be lithop but i went ahead and planted them, i guess thats the only way t know what they are. and yeah im still relatively new to lithops but i dont think theres any arabian species after doing some readings.

btw, do you think using Miracle-Gro® Cactus, Palm & Citrus Potting Mix for lithop is good? i heard miracle gro products are not good for cactus even doe it says its for cactus . And do you think this pottingmix could be use as a regular potting mix for other flowers? i have a bag sitting in my storage,

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2018
  4. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

That mix is not available where I live, but descriptions I have found list sphagnum peat and unspecified "forest products" (wood chips?) as major constituents. Not what I would use, I have no organic components at all in my growing media, for several reasons. One is that I cannot use materials with high water retentivity, it is too cold and humid here.
    Yes, peat-based mixes are generally less than ideal for cacti and many other succulents (this is something I have observed as well), the most sensitive are nearly impossible to grow in organic-based media. Still, many skilled growers have some peat in most of their mixes, but mixed with coarse material and used under better growing conditions than what I can provide.

Yes. The main difference is usually the amount of fertilizer, so you may want to add some.