Litchi Tomato (Solanum sysimbrifolium)

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Durgan, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

2. Acoma

Acoma Active Member

How peculiar. They almost grow like tomatillos. Looks like mini artichoke leaves.

3. JanR

JanR Active Member

The leaves are certainly a bit odd for tomatoes, but they look like they are doing really well. What size are the pots? I started some tomatoes early this year and I need to transplant them as they are outgrowing their 3 inch pots. I bought some 8 inch pots and hope that they will do the job. I desperately need to get them into the greenhouse as they are getting too big for the light stand. :( I wish the temperatures would warm up. It went down to -6 C. last night and snowed a little bit. My heater in the greenhouse kept the temperature up to 4 C. Do you think that would be warm enough for the tomatoes?

4. Durgan

Four degrees is safe. I push the plants towards the center of the greenhouse and have a fan moving the air when the temperature is threatening. I can handle to about minus 10 degrees C overnight outside temperature with my little 6000 BTU natural gas heater.

My pots are 7 inches deep, 5 inch bottom diameter, and 6 inch top diameter. probably called 2 liter pots. If the plants get too much larger, I will transplant to the next size up.

5. JanR

JanR Active Member

Thanks for the information Durgan. My pots are 8" at the top, 6" at the bottom and 6" deep. I think the shape of your pots is a little bit better for tomatoes, but I guess mine will have to do. I think I will transplant the biggest ones and put them in the greenhouse tomorrow.

Have you only transplanted your tomatoes once?

6. Durgan

Only one transplant so far, but I don't think the plants will last a full month without it being necessary to move up.

7. JanR

JanR Active Member

Do you ever try planting some early and protect them with cloches and row covers etc? I think I might try that this year with at least a couple of tomatoes and see if it gets me any earlier tomatoes. :)

8. Durgan

I have tried early efforts and lost one full planting two years ago. The gain is not worth the pain, since with cold ground the plants stand still. But it is hard to resist if the day are adequate. Two or three plants well protected for night temperatures may be worth a try, certainly where you are located the day sun is quite warm.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  9. JanR

JanR Active Member

I have 47 plants, which is way more than I need, so I can risk a few. LOL I plan to give some of them away. It really warms up fast here when the sun shines at this time of year, especially when protected from the almost constant wind.

10. Acoma

Acoma Active Member

Jan, if you want to experiment with inground attempts, have frost protective tarp that can protect at night. Otherwise, as Durgan says, it is not worth the loss. With the warmth, they grow fast anyways.

11. JanR

JanR Active Member

They will definitely be protected, with walls of water and probably a cloche on top and maybe some fleece blankets as well if weather forecast is for below zero. I have a lot of plants so I won't be devastated if a lose them. :)

12. Acoma

Acoma Active Member

zero celsius or farenheit?

13. JanR

JanR Active Member

Celsius, I don't think there is anyway you could protect it at zero Fahrenheit.

14. Acoma

Acoma Active Member

I agree. Had to ask. Go for it.

15. Anne58

Anne58 Active Member

I took a deeper look into the plants you are talking about. WOW!!! talk about having defences, thorns on every part of the plant -- leaves (top and bottom), stems, fruit husks . . . . You'll have to be careful when it comes harvest time !!

16. Durgan

17. Durgan