General: Lemon verbena, to bring in or keep out, that is the question!

Discussion in 'Herbs for the Kitchen' started by Creeping Jenny, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Creeping Jenny

Creeping Jenny Active Member

I am hearing 2 total opposites when it comes to a lemon verbena and winter! Does anyone have experience with it on my climate (Mission bc)? If I keep it outside over winter, will it come back next year, or should I stick it in a big pot and bring it inside for the winter? I just got it this spring and it did very well over the summer but it doesn't look as happy anymore. Im wondering if it is the cooler nights outside. Ive noticed the leaves on everything starting to turn already so I guess I should figure out what to do with this plant before I do any permanent damage to it!

Thanks.

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I have not overwintered this plant here, but it is hardy to zone 8 and maybe 7. I think you would be lucky to have it survive winter in Mission (zone 7b). I tried it in Atlanta (zone 7-8, my house was probably z 8) and it did not overwinter. It would definitely need mulch. Paghat writes about growing the plant in the Puget Sound area.

http://www.paghat.com/lemonverbena.html

3. Creeping Jenny

Thanks Eric! What do you think about bringing it indoors. Would it be okay near a window or would it need a light?

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I think they are often grown as houseplants. And then it would not go dormant, so you would have the fragrance all year long. Could be grown in a large pot and put out on the patio for summer.

It would be interesting to try to get one established outdoors though.

5. bjo

bjo Active Member 10 Years

A problem outdoors in the right environment is that it spreads and is difficult to control.....but I imagine that is a problem you would not mind!

I have grown it in a pot inside overwinter and it was perfectly happy if it had enough light.

Ciao
    BrianO

6. Creeping Jenny

Oh I would love it to get out of control! Then I could keep cutting it down and drying it! Oh that aroma. I cant get enough!

I think that tonight... it goes in a pot!

7. JVMar

JVMar Member

The lemon verbena I know is a small deciduous shrub. It is very late in coming into leaf, sometimes waiting until June before showing signs of life. The falling leaves can be used in a pot pourri during the winter. It seems to need a well drained, sunny sheltered site.