Leaves curling on tomato plants?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by lily, Jul 3, 2009.

1. lily

lily Active Member 10 Years

First time tomato grower ~I have 2 tomato plants (Super Fantastic) The tomatoes are growing nicely but the leaves are curling. I noticed purple veins on some of the leaves. I used a magnifying glass to see if I could see any pests. Although I couldn't see anything moving, I did see several (what looked to me like eggs) on the stems. I couldn't have seen them without the mag. glass. They are very tiny and are oval in shape. They appear to be either white or clear. Are these thrip eggs? I don't like the idea of spraying them with with a fungicide. Can you just hose them off? Will the tomatoes still be any good or will they go bad? Should I simply throw the plants out? Please help!
    Thanks everyone.

2. Angelll

Angelll Member

I'm no expert, but it sounds like it's just leaf curl caused by uneven soil moisture; my plants have it to. It requires no treatment and doesn't harm the fruit from what I understand. I would surf tomatoe leaf curl and see what comes up.

Angel

3. lily

lily Active Member 10 Years

Thanks Angela. I thought the same thing too until I saw the tiny eggs on the stems. Do you think these are thrips?