Identification: Lawn Mushrooms

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by PorterPup, Sep 5, 2016.

1. PorterPup

PorterPup New Member

Hoping to find out what type of mushrooms theses are. New puppy and would like to know if they are toxic or poisonous for him.

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi PorterPup,

Little brown mushrooms in general are tough to identify from photos, and often also a bit of work to ID even with specimen in hand.

However you have provided some great diagnostic photos - well done! - which makes this more possible.
    - Your third photo of the gills especially is clear enough to get a sense of dark brown spore colour, how the gill attaches to the stem, and I think I see the small hair like cystidia on the top of the stem, which can be a useful character for some things.
    - You've also provided habitat - lawn/soil - which is useful.
    - You've also provided a shot showing the hygrophanous (changing when wet) nature of the top of the cap, which is useful.

I will see what I can do to come up with an ID.

Pending a positive identification, given the choices that come to mind, it is reasonably likely to be at least mildly poisonous, so I suggest keeping your puppy away from these if you can.
    If you remove the mushrooms, they will regrow while conditions are favourable to them, in this case likely helped by the recent rains.

cheers,
    frog

Lysichiton and wcutler like this.
  3. PorterPup

PorterPup New Member

Thank you so much! The do return very quickly after removal. Keeping him away for sure at this point. Puppies it seemed can be harmed by so many common plants. Thanks for taking a look - greatly appreciated.

4. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello again,

Another aspect of this to keep in mind, is that there may be other species of mushrooms growing in your lawn besides these ones, and they may be similar in appearance. So even if I were able to provide an all-clear on this species, there might be other things in the lawn that the puppy should not eat.

When we have speakers talking on poisons at the mushroom club meetings, the most sad part is hearing about the puppies dying from eating Galerina mushrooms. On the one hand, this happens to a small fraction of the total population of puppies ... on the other hand I'm not sure what I would do if I had a puppy and a lawn in the fall.

Sorry to make grim comments, but it seemed useful to point this out.

frog

5. PorterPup

PorterPup New Member

Thanks. Very sensible and practical words. We will walk other places! His little fenced part is mushroom free. We really appreciate your input and comments.

Thanks!