Landscaping

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by alves, Jul 20, 2006.

1. alves

alves Member

Guys,

Need your help in 2 questions.

1) I am making a strip with several short and colorfull plants (lavender, hosta, blue fuscue...) . I am not worried with it flowers or not, just want the color to be there all year (even it changes with the season) and no much water needed. The problems is that I am missing the red color, any suggestions?

2) my neighbour was this ugly and I mean ugly (there is no other way to describe it than incredibly ugly) small building 3 meters tall. so I have this problem: if I look to my left side I see flowers everywhere, if I look right I see bricks that are not even straight!!! any suggestion to hide this thing without damaging it? I thought about bamboos, but the roots can cause problems so I am not sure on what to use...

thanks

2. jumbojimmy

jumbojimmy Active Member

my brother had the same problem like you...when his house was build, there was a 2m setback., therefore, exposing his neighbour's ugly red brick wall.

what he did was he planted 3 light green pencil pine trees to cover the wall. It looked great, as it matches his house and a fountain in the middle.

I think light green pencil pine matches well with your lavender...

but his neighbor was furious about this because he was concerned about root problems later on.

3. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Is there room for a strip or several Wintergreen: with it's big red berries?

Very low profile.

It's a Gaultheria, I think.

Do you have room at an end for a small Sasanqua camelia like 'Yuletide' with it's constant winter blossoms?

4. johnnyjumpup

johnnyjumpup Active Member

Hi, Alves,

Since the ugly building is 3 metres (10 feet) tall, if you have room and the money you could try building a trellis - there are so many interesting patterns - and turn the ugly wall into a feature wall. No roots to disturb the foundations of the building. The trellis structure will look good all year long and will be an attractive screen while you wait for a climbing plant (if you want) to get established. The low lavendars and fescues will look great at its base. There are so many wonderful plants that thrive in Portugal's climate. I loved seeing all the yellow and white daisy chrysanthemums (maritime daisies that we buy in florist shops here) growing wild all over the Algarve in March. Not sure what part of Portugal you live in.