Korean Euodia (Bee Bee Tree, Tetradium daniellii)

Discussion in 'Talk about UBC Botanical Garden' started by WesternWilson, Oct 26, 2012.

1. WesternWilson

WesternWilson Active Member 10 Years

I think the UBC Botanical Gardens have specimens of the Tetradium daniellii?

Is it difficult to obtain and/or grow in the lower mainland?

And is it really beloved of honeybees?!

Regards,
    Janet
    beekeeper

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Fairly difficult to obtain; but maybe easier to get search hits with the correct spelling Euodia (not -v-). Also check for other species of Tetradium, such as T. hupehensis (most botanists regard this as a synonym of T. daniellii, but nurseries may still be selling it under this name, or even under its old name of Euodia hupehensis).

Yes, the flowers are very attractive to bees, with abundant nectar. You may need to wait many years before newly planted specimens are old enough to flower, though.

3. WesternWilson

Thankyou for that Micheal! I will put this specimen on my hunt list, and pay closer attention to the spelling!

Regards,
    Janet

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, we have at least one specimen, adjacent to the research/admin building, at the back.

5. WesternWilson

I will have to visit the specimen! Does anyone know its typical bloom dates?

Regards,
    Janet

6. Nadia White Rock

Nadia White Rock Well-Known Member 10 Years

The tag on the tree at the back of admin building says Tetradium glabrifolium.

Attached Files:

7. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

If those are really flower buds on the August 5 posting (first posting in the thread), Nadia mentions on August 30 that we were still waiting for the flowers. Then we forgot. I think two weeks ago we decided we'd missed them.

8. Nadia White Rock

I didn't forget, I checked every time, it is not in bloom yet or it is strange looking bloom what I even don't try to photograph

9. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The Tetradium glabrifolium is right outside my window. Two Tetradium daniellii were found in a generally untended area outside the fence of the Asian Garden last year. All are grown from seed. The daniellii were planted out in the 1980's and the glabrifolium was planted out in 1992. I don't know what those trees look like. The T. glabrifolium outside my window must have been in bloom since September if not August. Although abundant, the flowers are small and don't look like much more than the buds in Nadia's photo. I have never bothered to look at them closely. During a sunny spell a few weeks ago, Douglas J. commented about all the bees on the plant even so late in the year. It is very popular with bees. I guess the tree is a bit over 3 metres tall and somewhat wider.

We have two new accessions of Tetradium ruticarpum at the nursery. Time will tell how those fair.

Flora of China - Tetradium http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=132553

10. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ah, thanks for clarifying, Eric. I remember that plant as being labeled T. daniellii somewhere along the way, but it sounds like that might have been a mislabeling. Glad to find out it's been sorted out.

11. WesternWilson

Well, perhaps I should add these to the list of things to plant for my bees!

Will seed be collected from any of the specimens mentioned above?

Regards,
    Janet

12. Eric La Fountaine

Well, I just looked at the plant labelled T. glabrifolium outside my window. It is still covered in buds with a few flowers open. I don't see anything that looks like fruit forming.

13. Nadia White Rock

Yes, it is like this forever.I gave up to see real bloom.

14. wcutler

On September 7 this year, the Tetradium glabrifolium tree and flowers looked like this. Maybe the flowers up at Eric's window were open.

Attached Files:

15. Eric La Fountaine

I guess I am not that observant lately. Douglas says the tree started blooming in October. And it's at least a metre taller than my original perception.

This is what the flowers looked like yesterday. Not exactly impressive individually, but there are a lot.

Attached Files:

16. wcutler

Not impressive? They're PINK! Who knew they'd be pink?

17. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Barely. Most of the pink is anthers.

18. WesternWilson

Bees are mostly clustered up in the hive this time of year...there must, given the bee interest in the tree earlier in the year, have been an earlier bloom time??

19. Daniel Mosquin

No, it blooms late. I suspect the prompting for flower development is degree-days? -- it always flowers late in the year. In some years, it does flower early enough to have swarms of late-season bees. This year, not so much.

20. wcutler

I realize WesternWilson's interest is the flowers for bees, but I just noticed yesterday how nice the leaves are on the Tetradium glabrifolium. They're very soft, though if the name is to be believed, not fuzzy-soft (not hairy-soft anyway).

We saw about three flower buds, and can't tell if the other million little white things are unopened flowers or unopened fruits. There were flowers, so some of them have to be fruits. I found an illustration of the open fruits on eFloras.

Attached Files:

21. Michael F

They look like unopened flowers to me. I'd suspect that (like some other late-flowering continental climate plants) flowering time is related to accumulated summer heat, and that they're not going to accumulate enough summer heat in an oceanic climate to flower before winter hits.

22. jcaime2

jcaime2 Member

Tetradium daniellii blooms end of July-August for about 4 weeks here at the Arnold arboretum in Boston. Being under the Tetradium when in bloom is like sitting inside a beehive (something the beekeepers will appreciate!!) It has white blooms. I have had mixed success with propagating seeds despite various techniques: vernalisation and outdoor fall seeding, vernalisation and spring start in greenhouse. Different soils as well (garden soil, potting soil).
    If someone has some pointers, i would gladly take advice.

i have no experience with that other Tetradium that seem to bloom later (probably too late for bees that already hunker down by then).

23. Michael F

Like numerous other late-flowering plants, it doesn't surprise me that flowering in Boston is much earlier, where the accumulated summer heat is much higher than in the PNW (or Britain, too).

24. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

T. daniellii flowers during July in Seattle, where a solitary specimen in Volunteer Park is reseeding.

25. Michael F

September in southern England, later (if at all) in the north.