Kopper King Hibiscus - Can it be potted?

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by ohio_gardener, Aug 25, 2007.

1. ohio_gardener

ohio_gardener Member

My mistery plant was just identified by "Saltcedar" and at this moment, I have in a 10 inch pot. This plants seems to grow up to 4 feet. Do you think it will do good if I just keep it in a pot? I can move it to a bigger pot or do you think it will do OK if I leave it in the 10 inch container? I really don't have much space left in the yard as everything has been planted and I would really like to keep such a lovely plant. Thanks for the input.

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

In doing a little research it appears your Hibiscus 'Kopper King' is not a tropical but a hardy hibiscus.
    http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/plant.asp?code=Z150

I also get your hardiness zone as 5.
    http://www.gardenweb.com/zones/zip.cgi

I think it would be just about impossible to keep it outdoors over the winter in such a small pot and have it survive. It needs a dormant period so I don't know if it will be ok indoors for the winter. Putting it in an oversized pot when it's not ready might not do it any good either. Maybe others will have more ideas, but I would suggest planting it in the ground or sinking the pot in the ground for the winter.

Newt

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

do you have an unheated garage or basement you could put the pot in for the winter? if not, find the most protected spot you can and wrap the pot with a few blankets. you could also bury the pot in the soil - again, in as protected a spot as you can find in your yard. if you bury the pot, i would definitely mulch well around the base of the trunk - just for some extra protection.

4. ohio_gardener

ohio_gardener Member

Thanks. I don't have the space to put it in the backyard so it will need to stay in a pot. I will make sure to bring them inside the garage when it goes dormant. Thanks,

5. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Have you considered checking with the Hibiscus experts for advice? One of the best things you can do is check the American Hibiscus Society website:
    http://www.americanhibiscus.org/index.htm

The advice so far seems appropriate, but when I need to know about specific species I prefer to ask the people who know the most about that species. They'll gladly answer your email.

6. ohio_gardener

ohio_gardener Member

Thanks for the sugestion. I didn't think about asking them because I thought that they may not answer my question but I will send them an email and see what they think about keeping this plant in containers. I did check their website but didn't find anything about growing this type of hardy hibiscus in pots.

7. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Everytime I've asked a question, I've received an answer. I feel certain you should as well.