In The Garden: Knapweed vs. Bachelor Buttons

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Jayjones, May 1, 2017.

1. Jayjones

Jayjones Member

Having a 'discussion' with a neighbour. Are bachelor buttons (cornflowers) a prohibited invasive species? since I bought the seeds at a BC garden store, I wouldn't think so. But this is what I'm being advised. I checked the internet for latin names, but cornflowers seem to come under the category of knapweed, so now I don't know.

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

1. Cornflower or Bachelors buttons is Centaurea cyanus.
    Quote link....It is often sold as a popular ornamental plant and seeds are sold in wildflower and bird seed mixtures.....The plant, with its beautiful flower color, is sought after by gardeners but unfortunately, the plant has escaped cultivation."

Centaurea cyanus - Wikipedia

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...em-kl.jpg/1200px-CentaureaCyanus-bloem-kl.jpg

Seems to be classed as invasive for Vancouver Island.

Plantwise

2. Lesser knapweed,common knapweed and Black knapweed is Centaurea nigra.
    Don't think they would sell the seeds for this agricultural weed.

Centaurea nigra - Wikipedia

http://warehouse1.indicia.org.uk/upload/Knapweed, Common (Centaurea nigra) Fosse Meadows (Taken 17.9.2008).JPG

Hope this helps.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  3. Jayjones

Jayjones Member

So the centaurea nigra is our invasive species. Yet it's listed as food for honeybees, among other things. I wonder how often things we eradicate are part of some other essential creature's food chain.

4. Silver surfer

Sorry.....I have edited to add extra which you may not have read.

5. Jayjones

Jayjones Member

But Here's this snippet from Wikipedia:

'Centaurea cyanus is native to temperate Europe, but is widely naturalized outside its native range. It has been present in the British Isles as an archaeophyte (ancient introduction) since the Iron Age.[3] In the United Kingdom it has declined from 264 sites to just 3 sites in the last 50 years.[4] In reaction to this, the conservation charity Plantlife named it as one of 101 species it would actively work to bring 'Back from the Brink'.[5] In Ireland, in Co.Clare (H9) Centaurea cyanus is recorded in arable fields as very rare and almost extinct.[6] while in the north-east of Ireland it was abundant before 1930s.[7]'

So either it's spreading like wildfire, or it's almost extinct. And since it's being sold in garden stores, it's either an evil menace or a garden plant. Maybe we should just send all our garden seeds back to the UK! ☺️ Anyway thanks for your responses!

6. Silver surfer

Centaurea cyanus......It may be a plant in danger in UK. Probably killed by all the weed killers we once used.

On the Plantwise site ..see below....I put in Vancouver Island ..there it is a problem...probably because your rules on chemicals have been much stricter than here in UK..so the plants are free to grow./seed freely.

Quote...."What problems does it cause?
    Seedlings grow quickly, produce copious seed and readily invade dry meadows, grasslands and cultivated grain fields."

Invasive Plants & Alternatives | Plantwise

It is a pretty flower and loved by gardeners over here.
    You must decide whether to sow your seeds or think of the problems caused in Canada.

Last edited: May 2, 2017