Kiwi fruit disease

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by JN Sharma, Apr 19, 2009.

1. JN Sharma

JN Sharma Member

I would like to have your help in diagnosing a peculiar disease/disorder encountered in one of the orchards in HP state of India.In the affected 15 year old vines, the leaves first show chlorotic patches on their margins, followed by necrosis and downward curling resulting in cupping symptoms. Young infected leaves remain small, curl and wither away. Severely infected vines show dieback and are killed in the due course. There are no signs of any insect pests and fungal pathogens. As this is a new crop in our country, We have no clue on this problem. Your cooperation in this matter will go along way in kiwi fruit cultivation in our country.

Sincerely yours,

Dr JN Sharma

Sr Plant Pathologist

Horticulture University Solan, India

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

If trying to establish it as a crop, I think it'd be best to turn to words from expert kiwi producers -- volumes such as I International Symposium on Kiwifruit -- after that, I'd do a search for Kiwifruit on that web page, and you'll come up with the proceedings from five other symposia.

3. rikkyrikk

rikkyrikk Member

Dr JN Sharma,

I am experiencing similar issues. Were you ever able to find information?

Kindest regards,

Richard Morris

4. JN Sharma

JN Sharma Member

The incidence of any virus associated was ruled out by the virologists contacted in New Zealand. Collar rot treatment was given in the affected trees, and the results are awaited.
    JN Sharma