Kinda new here but I would like to show off a little of what I have found..

Discussion in 'Photography and Art' started by rockhoppernc, Aug 25, 2009.

1. rockhoppernc

rockhoppernc Member

mush.jpg

crap 862.jpg

crap 1161.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2010
  2. rockhoppernc

rockhoppernc Member

3. rockhoppernc

rockhoppernc Member

4. rockhoppernc

rockhoppernc Member

I have a few more to show but it is getting late.
    please post what you think

5. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

They are lovely shots. Can you name any of them? I like pic no 2. Looks a bit like my ginger. Are these all wild in your area?

Liz (cold and the last blast of our warmest winter ever. Wind chill quiet high but still little if any rain just lots of damaging winds)

6. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

First set; Center image I need to know

Second set; Again center image I need to know but maybe an orchid?

Last set; Last image is maybe a Spider?

Blimey Liz, our rain at the minute is a monsoon I put a plant out from Madeira lmaooooooooo (dry conditions and hates wet feet)

I decided to cover it overnight, good job we have rain again.

Welcome to Botanical garden forum Rock!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  7. rockhoppernc

rockhoppernc Member

they are all wild plants
    First set; Center image- lion's mane family I was told

Second set; Again center image-jewel weed- good for poison ivy

I do have the names some place

8. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Wow weeds eh,

I can tell you one thing Rock, there are some lovely weeds lolol

Your bang on about the Jewel Weed:

http://www.altnature.com/jewelweed.htm

You see, I was looking at a so called weed all summer here, I don't know the name, and have no image. It was quite tall and has flat yellow flowers...what a beauty for a backdrop in the boarder!

I plucked up the courage to ask the owner of the house what kind of flower? I was bowled over when she laughed and said 'Its a weed'. 'Your joking me yea? but no, she was'nt.

My brother in law who comes from Donegal (Ireland) and he said he knows the weed but not sure of the name, anyway no matter she says they are easy..too easy to propagate as she opened the bin to reveal the dead flowers and gave me some. I hope they do well next spring.

Thanks for the naming Rock!

9. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

Nice pics,
    nice rocks.
    I have seen violet mushrooms here on the west coast too, tho not very often.

D

10. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

North Bend OR US;Oregon coast, just N of Coos Bay
    Wonderful pix, wonderful weeds! In California, as I remember, ivy geraniums are "weeds", and so are some kinds of Mexican orchids! Weed or wilflower, it's all POV!
    Speaking of pix, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced digital camera for the decent photographer? Were these pix taken with an SLR?

11. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I have a Sony H50, 15x zoom, also takes very close macro shots, and is fairly good at focusing on what's closest in a distance shot. It looks like a SLR, but is not, and it's quite light for a fairly bulky camera. I hate that it takes a different battery, different memory card, and different computer interface cable than all other cameras. Also, mine seems to change from its auto setting to some other setting without my turning the dial, and I've lost some pictures I really wanted because I didn't realize it had done that. But it's hard to beat for getting a close-up shot of something I can't get near to physically.

The second photo is cropped from a full-zoom.
    20091022_QEConservatory_Cutler_DSC04604.jpg 20091021_StanleyPkWalk_Clerodendrum_Cutler_DSC04545cc.jpg 20090427_BayshoreWalkway_Cutler_DSC02685.jpg 20090429_QEConservatory_Cutler_DSC02796.jpg

I also have a pocket-sized Canon Powershot SD870 IS, an old model now. It has a 4" zoom. A guy who posts to the flickr UBCBG Botany Photo of the Day pool has taken some outstanding photos with the same camera. Here are a couple of mine with this camera.
    20080914_Home_Tricyrtis_8547cps2.jpg 20080913_WECC_CornusNuttallii_Cutler_8529c2.jpg

12. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

I love the bottom right image!

The rest are just as lovely but the red last image just drew me to it.

13. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

That clerodendrum is growing outside?
    I didn't know there were outdoor varieties!

nice pics of interesting subjects

D

14. Pieter

Pieter Well-Known Member 10 Years

Ann, I'm on my 2nd digital camera, first one is an Olympus C5050 -I still use it from time to time- and the newest one is the Panasonic G1. One of the major factors for me in making these choices is that both have LCD panels that can be tilted, a feature I find invaluable when shooting flowers at angles other than eye level. I would never have been able to frame the image of this hanging basket had I not been able to articulate the LCD panel on my G1, this basket of perennials hangs at about 6 ft above the ground.

While something like the G1 may be above your budget, there are several very good cameras that offer that adjustable panel feature. Having the ability to frame an image from a different perspective without having to lie on your belly, get down on your knees or reach for a ladder is a feature I couldn't live without. Without going all the way to something like the Panasonic G1, take a look at the Canon Powershot SX20 IS..

Attached Files:

15. wcutler

Dana, the Clerodendrum trichotomum is one of three trees on the magnolia path next to the golf course in Stanley Park. Gerald Straley mentions the three trees growing nearby in back of the Fish House Restaurant in Trees of Vancouver. Here are photos of two of the magnolia path trees and the blossoms. They are very fragrant. I didn't know there were outdoor varieties either, and hadn't even seen the indoor ones for years, so I was very pleased with myself that I guessed that and then confirmed the ID from Straley's book.

The Sony H50 also has a tiltable LCD panel. I think it was under $400cad. These photos were both taken with that camera. Oh - add to the list of what I don't like about it: the software. I close the sony viewing program and review the newly uploaded pix using the Canon's program.

16. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

North Bend OR US;Oregon coast, just N of Coos Bay
    Pieter,
    Thanks for the info (and the picture!); I will certainly look at the Canon you mentioned! I saw a perfectly beautiful stand of clubmoss [so I assume] which would make the tiniest "landscape" shot ever. I love the "fool-the-eye" effect such shots can give.

17. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Just saw this thread - nice pics! I don't think this has been answered yet, but the second pic in the first set is an orchid - Platanthera ciliaris or cristata (don't know which). Where did you take it?

18. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

WCUtler,
    That's a gorgeous shot of that group of plants.
    So many interesting things in it; the red foliage behind, the red berries in front.
    If you have one a little closer up, my old eyes would love to see that too.
    It's been very many years since I've been in Stanley Park.
    I remember the heron trees in the zoo area
    and also
    some Portuguese Laurels on the right, at the entrance I think, as one drives on toward Lion's Gate .
    I wonder if they are still there and just how big they'd be , if so.
    I remember them being quite tall, maybe 15-20' then, about 25 yrs or so ago......
    If they are still there, how are they now?
    I wonder about their potential as I keep cutting mine back every few years, tightening up the branches to provide good bird cover.
    The ones in the park were then growing freely as trees.

D

19. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

And plse WC,

"Having the ability to frame an image from a different perspective"

How does it do that?
    Lenses & angles or ?

Thks
    D

20. wcutler

That was Pieter who said that, but what he means is that since you can pull out the LCD viewfinder and turn it to face you while the camera is facing a different direction, you can take a photo from a position in which you normally wouldn't be able to see what you're doing.

21. wcutler

I think that's Pieter's shot you're referring to. I don't have any red berries.

I'm not sure where exactly are your Portuguese Laurels in the park, but the herons have moved to outside the Park Board Office and across the road next to the tennis courts. They've been there since 2001. The Park Board website says "in 2008 the herons occupied 150 nests in 25 trees and produced more than 200 fledglings by the end of the season." There was talk this year of eagles hassling them, so maybe they wouldn't come back. They obviously moved once already and could certainly do it again.

22. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

Yes WC,
    In your magnolia group shot, my eyes can't see that clearly.
    To the left of the purple flowers is something red, perhaps another sort of bloom, not berry.

The date on your photo indicates the tenth Oct. yet I see the magnolia blooming as are some I have seen locally. Not having any near me to watch grow I was surprised and suppose that they give a few blossoms in fall as do rhodos sometimes; not the full flush, but a few.
    I'm glad to hear that the herons still nest in the park somewhere. A lot of the big trees got damaged in that big storm and I wondered about the big birds.
    And Oh!
    I was thinking that camera could almost see around corners or something, yes, mine does that too - duhhh

Thks
    D

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  23. wcutler

Dana clarified to me privately that she means Post # 16 Oct 25th. The photo of the tree is as close as I could get, but it does fill most of the frame. What seems to be something blooming in the background, and on the left, I think is all the same Clerodendrum tree. The photo name is confusing, as it's on the Magnolia Walk - I'm not sure where I got that name - but the subject is the Clerodendrum tree.

I have seen a few magnolia blossoms this month, but not on this path.

24. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

25. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

Yes Wendy.
    My eyes must have been in a hurry!
    An amazing specimen. The vining form has the bright red with its white blossoms and so possibly the shrub too.
    Interesting, thks for postng it.

D