Key Lime tree - started from seed

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Charles Richard, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Charles Richard

Charles Richard Active Member 10 Years

Hello,
    I have some seeds that I have started from a 'Key Lime'. I am hoping that someone can give me some information on how to care for them. Also, what I should pot them up into (soil mix), when they are at that stage of growth. If you have information on this plant or now where I might find it.
    Thank You

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Of all the citrus varieties that you could possibly have chosen to plant, Key Lime was the best choice. Most citrus varieties, take 10 to 15 years before the seedling grows into a mature tree and begins to fruit. Key Limes, when grown properly, will often start to flower and fruit in as little as 2 years. Citrus, Key Limes included, require a growth medium with excellent drainage, high root zone aeration, and a winter root zone temperature of at least 64F. After planting your seed, if you maintain a potting soil temperature between 80-90F your seed should germinate in approximately 21 days. To avoid the seedling dieing from stem rot, only water the seedling in the morning, and place the young plant in the direct sun so the potting soil surface quickly drys. Use the search function on this forum and search for CHC, or bark. These two words will give you a lot of information on best type of potting soils for citrus. By reading, reading, and reading the posting on this forum they will provide you with all the information needed to grow your tree. After reading, if you have a particular question, ask and someone will answer. - Millet (1,229-)

3. indygirl

indygirl Member

Millet,
    thanks for the introduction to 'raising' a Key Lime tree!
    I have two little Key lime plants that I grew from seeds of my previous yard. Unfortunately the seedlings have only grown 2" since I planted them over a year ago, hence my research. However I'm confident that thanks to all the great informative posts on this site, my little guys will grow into healthy fruitful trees one day!

Charles, good luck with raising yours!!

4. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Great information, i too want to try and grow a tree, so its good to use all this information as a reference.

Thanks,