Kalmia Latifolia and rhododendron

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by westgatea, Jan 7, 2003.

1. westgatea

westgatea Active Member

I am thinking of getting two Kalmia shrubs - can anyone recommend a particular type? I was hoping to find "ostbo red" or "sarah" for my 1/2 acre in Sechelt. Also, I would like to find a tall, late-flowering blue/purple rhodo - any suggestions? Audrey

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Two sources of Kalmia in your area are Willow Farms in Sechelt (speak with Janice) and Glen Lewis at Fragrant Farms in Roberts' Creek.

'Ostbo Red' has been a steady performer at UBC Botanical Garden for many years.

(the answer re: rhododendrons will be answered soon!)

3. HortLine

For a late blooming blue rhodo, try Rhododendron augustiniii. These are very choice, smallish leaved, quite narrow and will grow over many years to 20 feet. Typically they bloom mid to late April. There are magnicifent specimens on the Rhodo Walk at Van Dusen and along Cox Way in the David Lam Asian Garden at UBC. They do seem particularly susceptible to lime. Be careful not to let any mushroom manure get near... this from hard earned personal experience !
    Next question, where to find these beautiful rhodos? In Vancouver, the Van Dusen Plant sale, last Sunday in April has a very good rhodo section. Another great source is the Rhodo Society sale, also at Van Dusen, on the 2nd weekend in May. Blues vary quite a bit from pale to quite deep blue. Good luck!

4. HortLine

It would be surprising if there are many Kalmia's growing up Sechelt way, and that should tell you something. These plants are much harder to establish than the Rodohdendron, both require uniform moisture in the soil and the application of a mulch. The Kalmia will be able to stand quite a bit more sun than the Rhododendron, however it will take quite awhile to get established let alone thrive. One seldom sees mature specimens, and of the ones you do see the growth pattern points to plants that are stressed. They are not easily grown in this area.