Jatropha Podagrica - lost all leaves is it dead?

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by Nelson, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Nelson

Nelson Member

Greetings from cold and snowy Sweden, to you all! : ) I'm new to this forum so this is my very first post!

This autumn i bought a Jatropha Podagrica seedling, and sometime November - December it lost all leaf but one, and now after Christmas the last leaf turned yellow and finally fell off.

I've had this amazing plant before and i grew it from a seed to a big plant i had it for 2 years, and i know that winters this plant "Rest's" but still i worried... I love this plant so much :-)

How should i water it, Should i be worried? Is it's still alive? some images below just before it drop the last leaf. . thank you in advance.

/Nelson.

jp.jpg

P1030473.jpg

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Welcome, Nelson!
    From what I know, it is normal for Jatropha to go dormant in Jan-Feb. Reduce the amount of water you give it, and be patient. Should be OK.

3. Nelson

Nelson Member

Thank You! Patient i will be! :-) I try to take good care of my babies! hihi... I just got 16 Jatropha Podagrica seeds in the mail today, so happy because they are hard to come by here in Sweden.

When would be the best time to plant them? And should i put them in a jar with some plastic bag over them? Is it important to put the seed in the dirt in a special way?

I must share a picture i just took on my seeds. :-)

Thank You all! I feel at home here, so much good information.

P1030504.JPG

4. Nelson

Nelson Member

http://flickr.com/gp/nlson/1Q4f7z Look, my sleeping Jatropha woke up 22:th april and i growing and you can also see the container were i planted my seeds, today i moved the plants to own big pots, let's hope and pray that they will love the much larger pots :-) Im so happy for these plants and i have now nine of them, think i need to give away some... wanted to share this... . If you are worried about your Jatropha dropping leaves and almost look dead just let it be preferably in a little colder place and maybe give it some drops water twice a week, that's what i did and now it up and leafs coming in a rapid speed.. . I used cactus soil and ordinary flower soil mixed with perlit? don't know if that the name for it. . .but they drain the water and keeps air circulation going...

Have a nice flowery blooming summer you all :)

5. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Great news, Nelson. Thanks for letting us know! You are clearly giving your plants excellent care.
    A lovely summer to you as well.