Japonese knotweed help...

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by smakal, May 12, 2003.

1. smakal

smakal Member

Hello.

I've recently discovered a disturbing amount of Fallopia japonica in my backyard. I was in the process of removing it when it struck me that I don't know how to properly dispose of it. At the moment, I haven't gotten to attacking the rhizomes yet, so is it okay to put the stalks in with the regular yard waste?

What should I do?

2. Joan

Joan Active Member

This board is becoming an interesting data base! If you hit that search button second from the right above the board, and type in Japanese knotweed, you will be taken to an interesting discussion of this subject earlier in the year.... and if you still want more, come again!

3. smakal

smakal Member

I did that, but I only got one result back and it didn't address the issue of disposal.

4. Joan

Joan Active Member

Pruning at this time of year, there should l not be any flower or seed to worry about. Composting is possible, but such heavy fleshy stalks will take a while to break down unless a shredder is available.
    Cutting up and bagging for disposal with regular garden waste is the easiest option for the home gardener. The green waste is composted on a grand scale for the entire lower mainland and is subsequently sterilised before becoming a component in a commercial soil mix.

I hope this covers your question..

That answering machine message has to be fixed..

5. smakal

smakal Member

Thanks...

That takes care of half my problem.

What about the roots? I'm still digging them up. Is it safe to dispose of them in the same manner?

6. Joan

Joan Active Member

I am assuming this is quite a large area.

To eradicate the obnoxious weed, complete exclusion of light by mulching as described in the earlier reply by the Curator of Collections at UBCBG is the most effective and complete remedy.

Chopped up roots can also be bagged and put out as 'green waste'. which will be commercially recycled as sterilised soil.

Great diligence will be required throughout the growing season to get at every small plant that may survive in the area!

Good luck, it is hard work.