Japanese weeping cherry tree

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Eveweeping, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Eveweeping

Eveweeping Member

I have a Japanse weeping tree i planted it last June and it did not Bloom this year i would like to know if there is something i can do to help it bloom i dont know anything about the tree and would like to know if there is a book or something i can read to know how to maintain the tree.
    Thank you
    Eve

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Is it leafing out and making substantial new growth?

3. Eveweeping

Eveweeping Member

It has not grown much, and there are no leaves at the time last month i did notice just 2 little flowers but that was it after that. We are located in los angeles ca.

4. Ron B

Sounds like it has died. If you bought it bare-rooted it may have not survived the entire process (bare-rooting, cold storage, shipping to retailer, handling and display by retailer, handling by purchaser before planting in final position). Bare-rooting kills/removes nearly all of the smaller roots, making bare-rooted stock effectively big cuttings. Without being kept moist the whole time until new roots grow again the first spring after re-planting, some kinds of trees may not survive (sensitivity to drying of roots varies widely between different kinds of trees, some really cannot be bare-rooted at all). If your tree was allowed to sit out and dry out at some point before you planted it that may have killed it. And sometimes some individuals of kinds of trees that normally tolerate and survive bare-rooting (such as Japanese cherries) don't come through even when handled correctly.

5. Eveweeping

Eveweeping Member

Ohh no i hope not i paid 160.00 for it :( I have some pics of it can i send them to u so i can be sure it hasent died on me?

6. Eveweeping

Eveweeping Member

I got it at a Nursery and it was in a pot

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

8. Ron B

Another hazard bare-rooted stock faces is the habit of garden centers cutting the roots back severely when potting for sale in containers. This may have happened to your tree. What did the roots look like when you took it out of the pot to plant?

9. Ron B

>i planted it last June and it did not Bloom this year<

If this means full of leaves last summer then not coming back out at the appropriate time this year then something happened to it over the winter. In your area there might be a problem with its dormancy (chilling requirement) not being fulfilled. A lack of other, older specimens in the area could hint at this being the case. If there are, in fact, others around already then the opposite would be indicated. Otherwise, cherry trees are touchy about drainage, if the planting hole or bed collected water over the winter that could have done the tree in.

10. Eveweeping

Eveweeping Member

I went to take a closer look at the tree today and there seems to be growth it looks like little green cones could this be flowers or leaves when is the time that they are supposed to bloom?It has been a little cold here this year in california.Here are some pics please let me know Thank you very much!

Attached Files:

11. Ron B

It looks fine. Up here these don't bloom until March or later.

12. Eveweeping

Eveweeping Member

Thank you soooo much happy to hear that. Is there something i can give it to help it bloom bigger?

13. Imperfect Ending

Imperfect Ending Active Member

I know I am years late in responding but it doesn't get cold enough in Los Angeles for most types of cherry trees to do well.
    The only kind of flowering cherry that I know of that does really well would be 'Pink Cloud' ( like the ones they have at Lake Balboa Park ) and Taiwan Cherry.
    But Lake Balboa Park is in the San Fernando Valley which gets more chill hours than it does in the main Los Angeles area.

Here's a picture I took in March

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2761/4456173937_785f57998d_b.jpg