Japanese trees

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Stu in Tokyo Japan, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

I enjoyed the tour. Thank you. Chuck

2. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

That's a very nice bowl you have made! Do you finish it with oil? If so, which do you use?

The Tenjinsama tour is fascinating. Thanks for sharing. Is the Urinoki Tree a Liriodendron tulipifera?

3. Stu in Tokyo Japan

Stu in Tokyo Japan Member

Yes, I finished the bowls, they are done with the "Salad Bowl" finish that Lee Valley sells, it works well, is easy to touch up, and food safe.

The tree is Liriodendron tulipifera, I looked it up online with the Japanese name, in Japanese and found it listed as "Liriodendron tulipifera" in a every reference. I think it is also called the "Tulip Tree" ?

Cheers!

4. cocobolo

cocobolo Active Member

Hi Stu:
    Just came across your threads, better late then never I suppose. Most impressed with your lumbermaking efforts! When my wife and I came to Ruxton Island, I first used a Husky with a 36" bar and home made Alaska style mill. The biggest log I could handle was a 27" wide Douglas Fir. About 24' long as I recall. Very hard work! Now I use a Norwood bandmill.
    I love the bowls you created, beautiful wood. Have you had an opportunity to use any of those other boards to make anything from yet? There's really very little hardwood here, all soft. So, not really the sort of thing one can use for finer furniture or bowls. However there are a couple of nice burls on an old Arbutus not far from here.....I could be tempted!