Japanese Gardens resource discussion thread

Resources related to design and appreciation of Japanese gardens, and Japanese gardening techniques

1. wcutler

wcutler Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

wcutler submitted a new resource:
    Japanese Gardens

Links to online and print information about Japanese gardens and gardening. Thanks to user @JT1 for some of the suggestions that I have included. Full descriptions of the recommendations are in postings
    Japanese Garden Enthusiast home page - Great online resource!
    Japanese Gardens Outside Japan- Great online resource!
    Could be the greatest books ever written on Japanese Gardens
    The books recommended in this forum will be there soon.

Discuss resources on the list here, and submit suggestions for ones to be added to the list.

Read this resource...

2. JT1

JT1 Well-Known Member

3. JT1

JT1 Well-Known Member

Bowdoin College (Brunswick, Maine) Garden Page is great for historical information and photos on Japanese gardens, mostly focused on the gardens of Kyoto. (Adobe flash player needed to view the full content for each garden)
    Japanese Gardens -

The online photo library of Japanese garden elements. Great for beginners to learn in an easy to navigate format. The content and great photos will be of value to beginners and enthusiast alike.

Japanese Gardens - Elements

Click on the photo of each garden element and you are taken to a page dedicated to bridges (for example) with the garden name that the bridge is located. Click on the photo to see a larger image and a detailed description of the bridge construction and history.
    Japanese Gardens - Elements - Bridges 1

4. JT1

JT1 Well-Known Member

Flowers of Japan (Kamakura)
    A photo catalogue of flowering trees and shrubs, with the common and Japanese names:
    Japanese Flowers
    Great for beginners who want to learn the Japanese names and see examples of each type. A good starting point for further research because it lacks in depth botanical information. Perfect for someone who wants to get ideas for adding Japanese flowers to their own garden or for someone who can appreciate and enjoy the beauty.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  5. wcutler

Thanks, @JT1. I have added these, and also a book I learned of while reading Florence Du Cane, Flowers and Gardens of Japan, which an acquaintance gave me a while ago.

6. JT1

JT1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing, I will have to check it out!

7. JT1

JT1 Well-Known Member

Sukiya Living Magazine (JOJG)
    Best Books

"Here are the best books ever written on Japanese Gardening & the Sukiya Living Environment" (from 2008, updated list available to subscribing members)

Best Books

Attached Files:

8. JT1

JT1 Well-Known Member

My Japanese Garden - home page
    This is a great online resource by Chris Gare for those who want to add Japanese garden elements using materials outside of Japan or want to create their own garden. Great photos, links, recommended books, and text documenting how to create the elements. The author has done an amazing job documenting the formation of their garden in a straight forward way and provides all the resources used during each step in a way that is easy to use and understand. The left navigation bar on his site is loaded with great information for the DIY'er.

Information by same author dedicated to building a teahouse.
    My Japanese Teahouse - home page

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  9. wcutler

Thanks for both (the three) of these. I decided to make the Best Books link a reference for the magazine, and put the link to the pdf under that.