I've been thinking...

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by Laticauda, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

Call me crazy, but is it just me, or is a thread just infinitely better with a picture in it? I move that we all try to post a picture with every thread we make. You know, some great picture you took once, but had no reason to post it for any particular reason. Maybe a witty avatar, or cartoon of some sort. Now, of course, don't get carried away, the pictures must be appropriate and rated E for "Everyone." (Hm...I remember a time when saying "Rated G" would have been the correct terminology.)

Anyway, I'll get the ball rolling...that would be rather counter-productive, wouldn't it? Making this post about attaching pictures and then not posting a picture with this post.

Puppies being cute!

Attached Files:

2. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

I agree emphatically (sp?) Guess I really do need to go buy a camera. Any simple to operate inexpensive recomends?
    Barb

3. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

I just use my cell phone, it has a camera on it. Not the best quality photos, but I just recently upgraded to a 2.0 megapixel camera phone so they aren't as grainy as the picture up there is.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well, there is a limit to how many photos our server can hold, but we're still quite far away from it. All the images so far from the forums (in 7 years or so) == 12 GB, and we've easily that plus more left over, so I don't have any concerns.

I'll share a photo while I'm at it from the Great Sand Hills in Saskatchewan this past October.

Attached Files:

5. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

You can get very decent images today with JPG formats that will show here at 480 x 680 pixels with a foot print of under 150k,
    That should allow for roughly 7 images per megabyte.
    Leaves lots of room for storage for some time to come.

The trick is to get everybody up to speed with sizing their images before posting them.

I use photoshop but there are less expensive options like Infraview and others.

I like that shot Daniel.

Is it morning or night?

You must have captured the only tree in Saskatchewan! <vbg>

Bob

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Evening, and the colour only lasted for 10 mins or so. I think I may have seen another tree or two along the way...

7. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

That reminds me of one I have just just part of the hills and some tree - in Oregon.

This is a morning sunrise

Attached Files: