Is this scale?

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by camit, Oct 17, 2009.

1. camit

camit Member

I have an improved meyer lemon tree in my home, ~3 years old and 4' tall. It's healthy and rigorous, it's gone through two blossom cycles in the six months I've had it. But due to lax fertilizing (hey, it's my first tree) I only have one lemon of any decent size, and I think it might have scale?

Again, it's my first tree, so I don't really know what scale looks like, I just know it's bad. So I'm asking the experts (especially Millet, if you're around - I've seen your posts on several different blogs and your input is always fantastic) - do I have scale? I scratched the brown stuff with my thumbnail and it came off pretty easy.

Also, I think I have spider mites as well - the second photo I've attached shows some of my mature leaves, and they're all mottled-looking. Do I have mites too?

Since this tree is in my living room, I'm not about to use anything chemical on it. Not even sure I want to use Neem. I've heard about insecticidal soaps, do those work at all?

Attached Files:

2. LilSprout

LilSprout Active Member

I do not believe you have scale, but most definitely spider mites.
    Do not let this plant dry out - they are prone to spider mite infestations.
    Do not let them sit in water either.

3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Camit, actually the peel "damage" was caused by a minute insect called thrips. Other than unsightly, it does not cause a problem. - Millet (1,181-)