Is this plant Hieracium umbelatum?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by duffy, Jul 16, 2017.

1. duffy

duffy Active Member

I do hope I can get an ID for this Asteraceae. This sp. I have found growing 1m 50cm + but on average other specimens I have seen are approxiamately 1m 30cm. These photographs were taken in mid-June of this year. All of the specimens that I have seen are to be found growing amidst other vegetation at the side of country roads. All parts of the plant are very hairy and as can be seen on the photographs, the stem is square or angular, I wasn't able to get close to the plant because of thick vegetation, or other obstacles. The flowers I managed to bend over facing my direction with a long hooked stick, then held still by a helper. The altitude was 200 m above sea level.

Attached Files:

2. Tyrlych

Tyrlych Rising Contributor 10 Years

Picris hieracioides.
    Here it can be seen everywhere this summer, seems to be more aggressive than previous years.

3. duffy

duffy Active Member

Thank you Tyrlych, Even in area where I live, some 60 km distant from Naples, there seems to be an abundance. In past years I never noticed this sp. I have so many field guides, both illustrated and photographic but they contain nothing that is similar to this plant, even though this sp. is listed. As I am only a passionate amateur, perhaps someone like yourself would recognize the plant from the books. Thank you again. Spasiba bolshoi!