Is this Fuligo Septica?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by dvsnis, Jul 7, 2011.

1. dvsnis

dvsnis Member

If this Fuligo Septica what can i do to thwart it, I've read that it "hasnt been found to be harmful to people or pets". Anytime I read or hear this quote I always think of the days of nuclear testing where the guys in the bunkers hair is moving from blow back with their glasses that are supposed to shield their eyes ...and become ever so slightly precarious Knowing that im the one person that will find out fuligo septica is as bad as radiation was for those poor chaps..

Any help on removal is greatly valued I've tried
    1) Mild detergent with water-
    2)fungicide- that made it angry
    3) Less water
    4) Lastly a mild mixture of bleach and water - will find out tonight what that did

We just dont want our lawn looking like the frat house next door celebrating finals had everyone expel their libations on it all at once.

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

It really is harmless! Unlike nuclear testing, it has (a) been around for millions of years, and (b) doesn't have any vested interests to support false information ;-)

It does also provide a valuable service, converting old decaying vegetation into plant nutrients. Think of it as free organic fertiliser.

As for the appearance, just brush it over with an old broom.

3. dvsnis

dvsnis Member

Thanks for your reassurance on its lack of harmfulness.. It seems to only be getting worse, and worse
    And it's unsightly.. Brushing it away seems to only make it form its shell then disburse its spores once water hits it.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Try reducing the fertility of the lawn - when you cut it, take the clippings off and compost them elsewhere (they'll be the main food source for the slime-mould), and don't add any lawn fertiliser.