Is this Begonia?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by ariani, Dec 14, 2012.

1. ariani

ariani Active Member 10 Years

Is this flower begonia and what type is it? How can i have seeds from the flowers.

Attached Files:

2. Lila Pereszke

Lila Pereszke Well-Known Member 10 Years

Begonia semperflorens

I think these Begonia semperflorens cultivars are usually hybrids, so they don't produce fertile seeds (and Begonia seeds are very tiny...) But you can easily propagete it by cuttings!

3. cagreene

cagreene Active Member

i was under the impression begonias had both male and female flowers? so in order to get seeds, there must be at least one of each present.
    my favourite hobbies have stemmed from someone telling me it cant be done,lol. i have about a 5% chance of African violet seeds forming from my extreme breeding methods, all the while knowing how easy leaf prop is, but it isnt a challenge.
    maybe im somewhat of a control freak, or have far too much time on my hands, but i have noticed last year while dead heading the flower garden, to make it look pretty, that some seed pods where present on my begonia. no idea if they were viable though. good luck!
    ( all plant life that has been propagated from the same gene pool, runs the risk of being wiped out by disease. we are constantly being dissuaded from making our own seeds, by propaganda, misinformation, and companies that would control the worlds seed banks if we let them. it is up to all of us to collect organic seeds, to insure that food/plant life and the rights therein can never be owned by anyone.)