Is this a ponytail palm?

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by Blake09, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

I believe that I have a ponytail palm, I got it as a gift and the main part has died I hope it comed back. What do you think ???????? ponytail palm????? or not????? I printed a nametag on it so I wouldn't forget the name It was labled as a bonsi nothing els???? :s

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  2. yolinvill

yolinvill Member

Re: New to the forum

The wood on the trunk looks a lot like a ponytail but its a really small root ball for that large of a trunk. I've never played with bonsai at all so I'm not a very good source of information.

I'm brand new to this forum but I've gotten some quick & informative replies from marcinwestmich. I suggest you send the pix to him. If he doesn't know he probably can direct you to someone who does.

Regards,
    yo

3. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

Thanks I will contact marcinwestmich. I haven't ben able to respond to you because we have ben vak. a week and next week I will be in New York for another week so please don't think I am rude. :s

4. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Looks like a Beaucarnea species (Ponytail Palm) to me.

The larger caudex appears to have been cut a while ago. If the roots underneath are still a creamy white, firm, and fleshy, then it is likely the caudex will sprout new growth. If not, then it is likely too late for the plant.

What you may want to do is separate the two plants. The small one, you will want to grow a little more before presenting it in a "bonsai" fashion. The larger one, you will want to assess the health, as mentioned above. If it is to be saved, then you will want some time to have it branch and grow the foliage to cover up that main stem cut.

Mark