Is this a Hexastylis sp?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by nitrogeninthesoil, May 8, 2016.

1. nitrogeninthesoil

nitrogeninthesoil Active Member 10 Years

Hi,

Doesn't quite look like Hexastylis...but not sure what else it could be. Any suggestions?

There is just one patch of it that I could find...probably deer like them. The pic was taken in a disturbed cove forest, Appalachians, Northern VA.

Thank-you!

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

My first impression was a Smilax. Are you able to revisit the site as it grows?

3. nitrogeninthesoil

Thanks for the input Daniel, but isn't Smilax generally a vine? These look more like "ginger" plants, or even bloodroot(this is NOT bloodroot)...on single stems. Above this clump of plants are plants that may be a different stage of this plant and the closet ID I can find is
    Prenanthes alba though I'm not sure if this could be it? Yes, I can revisit it....I live there :)​

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I thought it might be the first leaves, but if it grows more along the lines of the way ginger plants do, then it wouldn't be Smilax. Well, short of someone else coming up with an answer, I suggest we let it mature!

5. nitrogeninthesoil

This turned out to be Prenanthes sp...possibly P. alba

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  6. Daniel Mosquin

Thanks for the update!