Is it A. palmatum 'Atropurpureum' and what about pruning?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by pataslo, May 27, 2018.

1. pataslo

pataslo New Member

I need your help to identify this attached maple. This I ordered from a nursery and on invoice
    it’s identified as acer palmatum Atropurpureum. Grafting is visible 2inch. above ground level.
    The nursery sent it after I described that I need a max 2.5m height and wide tree.
    I hope it will fit.

On the other hand I think that with later pruning I will able to form the shape.
    This tree was probably stored at very tight place, because it has only 3 branches, and even if 60 inches height, the trunk is only, 0.6 inch. So I need more branches to develope and only than let the tree grow higher. I woul carefully cut the tip of apex to pusuit branch development in lower section. This technic used in case of bonsais as well to increase branch.

What do you think about the idea?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2018
  2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Atropurpureum is used in the trade generally for red JMs, and although there is an old European cultivar (this isn't it) with that name it's very rare to see the real one. Since this is grafted someone is propagating the plant, but I think they might have just selected a red seedling that they liked. It's an attractive leaf and should make a great garden plant.

Bloodgood is another very diluted strain (which this isn't either) that you often see representing generic red A. amoenum maples.

The word for this type of diluted strain or multi-line cultivar is a grex. Another one in the trade is the famous coral bark maple, Sango kaku.

I agree if you cut it, it will develop more branching.

-E

3. Mani

Mani Active Member

Where would you go to get authentic versions of Atropurpureum, Bloodgood and Sango Kaku?

4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Mani, 'Atropurpureum' the cultivar is difficult, but I know Pat at Hippopottering works sometimes with Dick van der Maat of Boskoop, who has the true cultivar (or did). Pat would have the correct SK also. Another option is Mallet Court Nursery, James Harris is the owner there and takes a great amount of care with what he sells. Either of these would be as good a chance of getting a real 'Bloodgood' as anywhere else, though whether that would be a true clone of the original is an open question.

cheers, -E

Mani likes this.
  5. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Tricky as those three are so widely cultivated and the red trees in particular are labelled as such but I’m not entirely certain that are always true.

Re Sango Kaku, I have three of these all different, one has the most striking red/pink bark, the others to a lesser extent, I am sure that one is true and the others are genetically diluted (if that’s possible). All three are in pots, same compost and leaf form but different overall form (one is a very dense bush, the others are less densely leaved and are more witches broom in form). I’d buy from reputable maple nurseries, rather than national garden centres..although I have seen good SK trees in those centres too.

cheers
    Rich

Mani likes this.
  6. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Didn’t see emery’s post when I posted the above. I have used Hippo many times, super quality and helpful

Mani likes this.
  7. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hippopotering every time IMO, fantastic quality and packaging second to none. You will get exactly what you ask for and good prices.
    Junkers also excellent and Karan is very knowledgeable. Bit pricier though.
    Go on Ebay and you never know what you will get.