Is it a millipede and do I want it on my balcony?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by wcutler, Jun 27, 2018.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

This was either in the new fern I'm repotting on my balcony or in the soil I'm using to pot it up. Is it a millipede? It's about 2.5 cm long when stretched out. Do I want to kill it or put it back on the soil? Presumably it has cohorts.

Some previous postings on millipedes say they are ok, maybe even good; some have asked how to get rid of them and responses seem to indicate that would be reasonable; some are clear about not wanting them inside. What about on a balcony where the available food is limited? I have it under glass for the moment.
    Millipede_NewPlant-or-soil_Cutler_20180627_120530.jpg

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

It seems to have two pairs of legs per body segment; so, that makes it a millipede. I encounter them pretty frequently in my garden, but not in large numbers. According to Wikipedia, some species will eat live plant matter; I would remove them from any plant containers.

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Thanks very much. If it's still alive tomorrow, I'll take it outside.
    It's funny - I read one page that talked about how unappealing they are - emit poisonous or foul-smelling substances, with some releasing cyanide, can sting, discolour skin,
    What Is the Life Cycle of a Millipede? (the video is not directly related)
    and another that's all about how to raise them,
    how-life-cycle-millipede.
    They can live up to 10 years in captivity.