Is anyone growing a wisteria vine? See a peek of my seedling...

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by The Hollyberry Lady, May 4, 2009.

1. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

I am going to put one of my wisteria plants outside soon, too. I am so thrilled to have both the Chinese and Japanese varieties. Can't wait to see how a bonsai turns out also. Wisteria is one cool plant, and can even be used for grafting, which is something I am trying to do, but with no success just yet. I guess I am in denial about my horticultural limits! Lol!

I heard too, that you can grow your bonsai in the ground for a season or two, shaping it and pruning it, before digging it up and making it your indoor bonsai plant! I might try this, as well.

I am getting seeds for dwarf banana plants soon, too! I am going to grow one in a container and one in the ground. They are so ornamental and attractive, and can be successfully grown here in Canada. I just can't wait.

: )

2. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    I planted two years ago a Whisteria to climb along the top of my SOUTH wall along a string that is fixed along. It has grown to 6 feet and taken the curve but now it seems to have slowed down and NOT made one flower this year yet..When I bought it was about less than 3 feet like the little red wooden sticks one gets at Home Depot when one buys a climber..I think the original pic showed lilac color.. one of my neighbor has a stunning one in weeping willow shape..that was ONE flower two years ago that made us buy ours but this year his also was very short lived in terms of flowers and it must be very old.

3. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

They say pruning and fertilizing with a low nitrogen formula will promote blooming.

: )