Identification: Indoor Tree

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Bobs, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Bobs

Bobs Active Member

This tree (it may be tropical) has been grown indoors for five years. A client wants to know what it is.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Looks like something that wants to be a scrambling vine as opposed to a tree? That's not much help, I'm afraid.

3. Bobs

Bobs Active Member

That thought occurred to me too. Thanks.

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

It looks similar to Ficus religiosa, Bo Tree, but I assumed that would be unlikely. I did a search on young ficus religiosa, not sure I can see something that would rule that out. Maybe being inside in Minnesota would account for the incongruent appearance. Or maybe it's not that.

5. Bobs

Bobs Active Member

Thanks for your thoughts. The client obtained the "tree" in Philadelphia when it was about a foot tall. It was put into a slightly larger container at that time. The client later moved to California and repotted it again. It has been in Minnesota one winter "by the window." It has been in this pot in "basically the same soil" for 5 years. After rereading the client's question, it's now clear that the plant itself is more than five years old. The client has had it for "many years." I think Ficus religiosa fits what I see in the photo. Thanks again.